These sentence starters are a great way for students to engage in positive learning conversations in a math setting. Each statement includes either Common Core, character building, or positive "I statement" vocabulary. They are a wonderful resource for students to use as they are working in group settings or validating their responses/processes/outcomes throughout their work.
The pdf contains a full-page list of ways for students to engage in math conversations that can be used as a poster /handout and 3.5x2.25" cards for individual or group use. If you use a personal laminator, the cards also fit inside Heat Seal luggage tags available at retail stores.
Each card is grouped by:
- Building Relationships
- Finding Solutions
- Gathering Information
- Making Connections
- Needing Help
- Stating Opinions
- Revising Thinking
- Using Resources
What better way to reinforce Common Core Standard expectations like...
- state meanings consistently and appropriately
- reflect on whether results make sense
- reason abstractly
- make sense of problems
- make changes or improvement to models or processes
- make conjectures
- understand correspondences between approaches
- listen to the arguments of others
- interpret results in the context of the situation
- explore consequences
- evaluate reasonableness of results
- evaluate progress
- distinguish correct logic or reasoning
- construct viable arguments & critique the reasoning of others
- compare the effectiveness of arguments
- assess the reasonableness of answers
Thank you for your feedback!