Teaching an entire Shakespeare play presents innumerable challenges:
- Which text should I use? The original or a version in "contemporary" English?
- How can I cover the action throughout the play without my students disengaging?
- How can I constantly check for understanding throughout the play?
- How can I encourage students to annotate the play?
- How can I adapt my book or print versions into a more manageable script?
- How can I facilitate small groups reading the play independently?
This abridgment is my solution!
This file contains Shakespeare's original text of the entire play, A Midsummer Night's Dream, but I cut it down to exclude any part that was not essential to furthering the story itself. In addition to cutting all non-essential sections of text, I also included strikethroughs of certain text in order to keep structure and rhyme scheme in tact. Each page includes multi-level reading comprehension questions, which align with each section of the play. The questions also prompt students to highlight the sections of the original text which defend their answers. An answer key for each act of the play is included, and it lists the level of each question, the correct answers to each question, and suggested evidence that students should have highlighted.
Note: This file is really easy to share via Google Classroom or another online interface, so your students can complete all the questions and highlighting without using paper at all!
If you'd like me to create an abridgment of another Shakespeare play, contact me anytime, and I'll get working on it! :)