No prep. Just print and teach. Common Core aligned.
A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness is an award-winning novel about a boy's struggle to deal with the cancer and ultimate death of his mother. The novel is part reality and part fantasy. It will keep students' attention and make them think deeply about life, grief, and death. Even reluctant readers will be engaged!
My study includes the following:
1. Chapter-by-chapter guided reading questions.
2. Most chapters include a short writing response.
3. Figurative language analysis for deeper meaning.
4. Text versus movie Venn diagram as a preparation for class discussion.
5. Vocabulary list in the order the words occur.
6. Chapter quizzes. Most quizzes are for each chapter individually. However, a few of the quizzes are combinations of several chapters.
7. Vocabulary definitions page.
8. Three vocabulary tests (matching).
9. Vocabulary and writing--deepening understanding (includes a sample).
10. Answer keys.