NOTE: This puzzle is meant to be used after students have read the book.
Students solve this crossword by providing synonyms and antonyms for 25 vocabulary words from A PASSAGE TO INDIA. Each clue contains a vocabulary word and the sentence it is used in from the book. Note: Using a thesaurus rather than a dictionary will make it easier for students to solve the puzzle.
Examples of clues:
...she had much to say to him on this occasion about a family circumcision that had been celebrated with imperfect POMP. (___ display; ant.) ANSWER: modest
* He would proceed to the great Mau tank that stretched as far as the Guest House garden, where something else would happen, some final or subsidiary APOTHEOSIS... (syn.) ANSWER: climax
* Strength comes from the sun, infused in it daily; size from the PROSTRATE earth. (ant.) ANSWER: vertical
* Certainly some external force had IMPINGED, but the road had been used by too many objects for any one track to be legible... (syn.) ANSWER: imposed
More challenging—and fun!—than a typical vocabulary crossword!
PLEASE NOTE THE FOLLOWING:
The 25 words in this puzzle are also listed and defined on the A PASSAGE TO INDIA edition of Bookmarks Plus, which is listed below.
Also, these 25 words are contained in my A PASSAGE TO INDIA 50-word Prereading Crossword, which includes 50 challenging words students will run across in the book. This product is listed below.
USE ALL THREE TO REINFORCE MEANING!
Here are my unique products over A PASSAGE TO INDIA! The crosswords are perfect activities for early test finishers, between lessons, extra credit, or at the end of the day! View them in my store.
* Bookmarks Plus: A PASSAGE TO INDIA edition—A Handy Little Reading Aid! Helps students keep track of main characters and provides definitions for new words—and so much more! A lot of helpful information at students’ fingertips! Students and teachers alike are delighted with these handy reading aids!
* A PASSAGE TO INDIA: Synonym/Antonym Crossword—Use with Bookmarks Plus! Use with Bookmarks Plus and the 50-word Prereading Vocabulary Crossword to reinforce meanings of new words! A unique crossword!
* A PASSAGE TO INDIA: 50-word Prereading Crossword—Use with Bookmarks Plus! Helps prepare students for reading the book! Use with the A Passage to India edition of Bookmarks Plus and the A Passage to India Synonym/Antonym Vocabulary Crossword to reinforce meanings of new words!
Word-Wise Language Arts Resources
—100s of unique products over most-taught literature!
Fun Teaching~Fun Learning!