Whoa?! Where am I? Last thing I knew I was sitting in math class and now I am on what seems to be a pirate's ship!! I look around the ship and everyone is busy mopping the deck, loading cannons and counting gold coins! In the corner of the ship, I see a treasure chest that says Multiply and Divide.... It looks like there is a series of locks on the chest.... I bet I have to use math in order to open that chest and get back to may math class! I better move quick, before I get caught and have to walk the plank! I have my heading, let's go! Oh no, I am already talking like a pirate, Savvy?! Argh I better move quick!
This digital breakout is intended for reinforcing Multiplying and Dividing Whole Numbers and Decimals
In this Escape Room-like game, students will interact with a website to find clues and decode puzzles to unlock digital locks to BREAKOUT of the Pirate Ship. All puzzles involve multiplying and dividing whole numbers and decimals.
TEKS 5.3B 5.3C 5.3D 5.3E 5.3F
* Multiplying 3 digits by 2 digits
* Multiplying Decimals to the Hundredths
* Dividing Decimals by Whole Numbers (2 digits into 4 and 1 digit into 4)
* Multiplying Decimals using Models
* Dividing Decimals using Models
What is a Breakout?
A breakout is a scavenger hunt-like game where players use teamwork and critical thinking to solve a series of challenging puzzles in order to open a locked box. Breakouts can be done hands-on with physical locked boxes or digitally using a Google Form. THIS BREAKOUT IS A DIGITAL ONLY BREAKOUT, NO BOXES OR LOCKS NEEDED!
Why Use Breakouts?
1. Breakouts shift the ownership of learning from the teacher to the student.
2. In addition to the content knowledge needed to succeed in a specific game, breakouts require critical thinking, collaboration, creativity and communication.
3. A breakout provides learners with many opportunities to fail and try again. Every unsuccessful attempt to open a lock forces students to reexamine their information and their thinking.
Why Use Digital Breakouts?
A digital breakout requires no preparation of materials, no time spent setting up, and no purchase of a Breakout EDU kit.
Included in this Breakout Download:
*Breakout website with links to all necessary text and media
*Breakout codes and explanations
*Student Sheet to Show Work
To use this resource you will need to:
1. Have access to electronic devices (desktops, laptops, Chromebooks, etc.) for students to use or allow students to use their own devices. (there have been reported issues while using Ipads with draggable pieces so please keep that in mind while buying)
2. Have access to the internet.
3. Have a Google Drive and Login for the Google Drive
4. Check to make sure that your school/district does not block out of domain sharing of Google Drive resources (Forms, Docs, Slides, etc.)
NUMBER 3 and 4 ARE VERY IMPORTANT! CHECK BEFORE YOU BUY!
Please see the preview file for additional information.
If your looking for other ways to integrate technology check out my 4th grade Google Classroom activities!
Long Division and Models Google Classroom Interactive Activity 4.4H 4.4E 4.4FFinancial Literacy 4th Grade TEKS 4.10A 4.10B 4.10E Google Classroom ActivityProblem Solving with Multiplication 4.4H 4.4B 4.4C 4.4D Google ClassroomFractions and Decimal Models TEKS 4.2G 4.2E 4.2F 4.2H 4.3G Google ClassroomWhole Number and Decimal Place Value TEKS 4.2A 4.2B 4.2C 4.2D Google ClassroomMeasurement- Relative Size, Conversion Problem Solving Google Classroom 4.8CShapes Symmetry Lines and Angles 4.6A 4.6B 4.6C 4.6D Google ClassroomProblem Solving with Graphs and Data 4.9A 4.9B Google Classroom Activity
Take a look at some of my FIFTH Grade Google Activities!
Try some of my other Google Classroom Activities!
Rounding Comparing and Expanded Notation of Decimals Google ClassroomProblem Solving with Coordinate Grids Google Classroom Activity 5.8A 5.8B 5.8CArea and Perimeter Problem Solving Google Classroom Activity TEKS 5.4HWriting Equations Using Variable or Letter for the Unknown Google Classroom 5.4BDividing Unit Fractions and Wholes Google Classroom Activity TEKS 5.3J 5.3LAdding and Subtracting Fractions Unlike Denominators Google Classroom ActivityShape Sorting Hierarchy Interactive Google Classroom Activity TEKS 5.5AMultiply a Whole and a Fraction Interactive Google Classroom Activity TEKS 5.3IVolume of Rectangular Prisms Google Classroom Activity TEKS 5.6A 5.6B 5.4HPrime and Composite Numbers Google Classroom Interactive Activity TEKS 5.4AAdditive and Multiplicative Patterns Google Classroom Activity TEKS 5.4C 5.4DOrder of Operations NO EXPONENTS Google Classroom TEKS 5.4E and 5.4FFinancial Literacy TEKS 5.10A 5.10B 5.10E 5.10F Google Classroom ActivityProblem Solving with Graphs and Data TEKS 5.9A 5.9B 5.9C Google Classroom