This is the framework (and rubric) for a Poetry Unit I recently designed and implemented with a group of fifth graders. The unit culminated in a Poetry Slam, for which we moved all of the furniture to a back wall of the classroom, and used every beanbag, pillow, etc. we could find (or that the students brought from home) for the event. We plastered walls in our classroom and throughout the hallway with their presentation copies, with those which represented the original poetry the students were planning to recite hung across the white board in the classroom.
I was blessed that our Art teacher and Music teacher both jumped onboard!! The Art teacher utilized some of her class time for presentation copy creation, and our Music teacher designed a unit around Haiku, using the hybrid unit to teach rhythm. The students performed their original Haiku using rhythm instruments during the slam. (It was awesome!!) Both teachers did a beautiful job of integrating the various curriculum standards. Hopefully you will be as fortunate.
For the Slam itself, which we held on a Friday afternoon, all but two students had family members in attendance!! Following the students' recitations, they escorted their families through the gallery of hung poetry and enjoyed light refreshments. All told, I could not have been happier with the outcomes!!
I am uploading the file as a Word document to allow for adapting this framework and rubric to your classroom. The rubric is set on a four column format. We started learning about poetry first, gradually building in our own writing. Students kept a portfolio of all pieces of their work - planning, drafts, presentation copies, etc. - throughout the unit; housed in file folders that were kept in a central and student-accessible location in the classroom. Presentation copies were created using poetry frames set on student created backgrounds, using crinkled paper, beads, watercolor paint, sharpies, colored pencils, wordle, PowerPoint, and more. The most challenging style for my students was probably Poems for Two Voices, but these also ended up being some of their favorites.
All told, we probably devoted about 3-4 hours per week during class for about 6 weeks for the entire unit. Students did have some homework for this project, but mostly it was what they didn't finish during the day/week.
This was quite an undertaking, but some of my students surprised themselves with how much they gained from this unit. Good luck, and have fun!!
A Plethora of Poetry Project with RUBRIC!
is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License