This packet of reading skills and strategies was created to use with the book A Porcupine Named Fluffy by Helen Lester.
Each skill or strategy has multiple pages that are differentiated to fit the different needs of your students - you can have all your students working on the same skill but with a page that best fits their needs.
This packet is tailored to this book with specific questions of varying degrees of difficulty. Students will respond by drawing, circling answers, writing sentences and finding text evidence to support their thinking.
Included in the packet:
Directions and Common Core Standards for each skill and strategy. Plus ideas for extending the activities.
* Asking Questions - 2 pages
* Author's Point of View- 2 page
* Beginning, Middle, End - 4 pages
* Cause and Effect - 8 pages plus key
* Character Analysis - 6 pages
* Character Change - 1 page
* Compare and Contrast - 3 pages
* Fact and Opinion - 2 pages
* Main Idea and Details - 4 pages
* Plot - 3 pages plus 1 key
* Predict - 3 pages
* Sequencing - 8 pages plus 2 keys
* Story Map - 3 pages
* Strong Thought - 3 pages
* Summarize - 1 page
* Theme - 1 page
* Visualize - 1 page plus 2 writing pages
Common Core Standards
K.RL.1, K.RL.2, K.RL.3, K.RL.6, K.RL.7, K.RL.9, K.W.1, K.SL.5, 1.RL.1, 1.RL.2, 1.RL.3, 11.RL.6, .RL.7, 1.RL.9, 1.w.1 1.SL.4, 1.SL.5, 2.RL.1, 2.RL.2, 2.RL.3, 2.RL.5, 2.RL.7, 2.RL.9, 2.W.1, 3.RL.1, 3.RL.2
If you would like more information about this book and many others visit my blog The Picture Book Teacher's Edition
The preview pictures are of the differentiated main idea Main Idea pages.
The PBT’s Edition Facebook page
The PBT's Edition Pinterest Boards
© Paper, graphics, borders & fonts created by Shawna Devoe 2013
**If you have problems downloading this or any product, please make sure you have a current version of Adobe Acrobat Reader.