NOTE: This puzzle is meant to be used after students have read the book. Also, because the answers to most of the clues consist of one word, I recommend that students use a thesaurus rather than a dictionary to solve the puzzle.
Students solve this crossword by providing synonyms and antonyms for 25 vocabulary words from A PRAYER FOR OWEN MEANY. Each clue contains a vocabulary word and the sentence it is used in from the book.
Examples of clues:
“But he’s called Dan,” my mother added, bringing a slight frown to my grandmother’s COUNTENANCE. (syn.) ANSWER: face
13. No one could remember the denomination of the school minister, a SEPULCHRAL old gentleman who favored bow ties... (ant.) ANSWER: joyful
15. ...among them, the HAPLESS Harry Hoyt, who’d received a base on balls with two outs... (ant.) ANSWER: lucky
20. ...he did nothing more seditious than offer some HETERODOX opinions regarding the location of the Holy Ghost... (___ to accepted beliefs; syn.) ANSWER: contrary
More challenging—and fun!—than a typical vocabulary crossword!
PLEASE NOTE THE FOLLOWING:
The 25 words in this puzzle are also listed and defined on the A PRAYER FOR OWEN MEANY edition of Bookmarks Plus. See product list below.
Also, these 25 words are contained in my A PRAYER FOR OWEN MEANY 50-word Prereading Crossword, which includes 50 challenging words students will run across in the book. See product list below.
USE ALL THREE TO REINFORCE MEANING!
Also don't miss my LOOKING GOOD ON PAPER line of writing products based on my years "in the trenches.
Here are my unique products over A PRAYER FOR OWEN MEANY. View them in my store!
* Bookmarks Plus: A PRAYER FOR OWEN MEANY—A Handy Little Reading Aid! Helps students keep track of main characters and provides definitions for new words—and so much more! A lot of helpful information at students’ fingertips! Students and teachers alike are delighted with these handy reading aids!
*A PRAYER FOR OWEN MEANY 50-word Prereading Crossword—Use with Bookmarks Plus! Helps prepare students for reading the book! Use with the A Prayer for Owen Meany edition of Bookmarks Plus and the A Prayer for Owen Meany Synonym/Antonym Vocabulary Crossword to reinforce meanings of new words!
* A PRAYER FOR OWEN MEANY Synonym/Antonym Crossword—Use with Bookmarks Plus! Use with Bookmarks Plus and the 50-word Prereading Vocabulary Crossword to reinforce meanings of new words! A unique crossword!
Word-Wise Language Arts Resources
—100s of unique products over most-taught literature!
Fun Teaching~Fun Learning!