NOTE: This puzzle is meant to be used before students read the play. Also, since most answers consist of one word, students benefit from the use of a thesaurus rather than a dictionary.
This crossword contains 50 challenging words from A RAISIN IN THE SUN. Either as a homework assignment or as an opportunity for students to work with a thesaurus in class, it’s a great way to familiarize students with new words while preparing them for reading and understanding the play. Note that the parts of speech are included to aid students in finding the exact answer.
Examples of clues:
* Undaunted: Not ___ (adj.) ANSWER: discouraged
* Cliché: ___ expression or idea (n.) ANSWER: overused
* Scrutinizing: Studying in order to make a ___ (v.) ANSWER: judgment
* Insinuatingly: With more ___ than is stated (adv.) ANSWER: meaning
* Rebuffs: Bluntly ___ (v.)
FYI: This puzzle includes the 25 Words to Know from the A RAISIN IN THE SUN edition of BOOKMARKS PLUS, which students can refer to for definitions as they read the play as well as a list of main characters, author information, and more. See description below.
Also, to reinforce meaning even more, I have created a A RAISIN IN THE SUN synonym/antonym crossword over the same 25 words. A great way to test students’ understanding of synonyms and antonyms! Clues include the sentences from the play! See description below.
USE ALL THREE PRODUCTS TO REINFORCE MEANING!
Here are my unique products over A RAISIN IN THE SUN—view them in my store!
* A RAISIN IN THE SUN edition of Bookmarks Plus—A Handy Reading Aid! Helps students keep track of main characters and provides definitions for new words, author information, themes—and more! A lot of useful information at students’ fingertips! Students and teachers alike are delighted with these handy reading aids!
* A RAISIN IN THE SUN: 50-word Prereading Crossword—Use with Bookmarks Plus! Helps prepare students for reading the play! Use with the A Raisin in the Sun edition of Bookmarks Plus and the A Raisin in the Sun Synonym/Antonym Vocabulary Crossword to reinforce meanings of new words! Perfect extra-credit assignment and a great way to introduce the play!
* A RAISIN IN THE SUN: Synonym/Antonym Crossword—Use with Bookmarks Plus and the 50-word Prereading Vocabulary Crossword to reinforce meanings of new words! Students provide either a synonym or antonym for 25 words. Clues include the sentences from the play! A unique crossword!
* A RAISIN IN THE SUN: 10 Quotefall Puzzles—A Great Spelling Workout! Each quotefall is a quotation from the play. Students form individual words of the quotation by transferring letters from above the double line of the puzzle grid to squares in the columns directly below. Quotefalls can be challenging, but students love working them—and they’re great spelling workouts!
Word-Wise Language Arts Resources
—100s of unique products over most-taught literature!
Fun Teaching~Fun Learning!