NOTE: Students will benefit more from the use of a thesaurus than a dictionary to solve this crossword.
Students solve this puzzle by providing synonyms or antonyms for 25 vocabulary words from A RAISIN IN THE SUN.
Examples of clues:
* …If it’s too hot or cold for you, just wait a minute and it’ll change. (She smiles happily at this CLICHÉ of clichés.) (___ expression or idea; syn.) ANSWER: overused
* (Dropping her hands in a FUTILE gesture) (ant.) ANSWER: effective
* (The boy finally turns around and rolls his eyes at her, knowing the mood has changed and he is VINDICATED...) (Found ___; ant.) ANSWER: guilty
* (…She is COQUETTISHLY fanning herself with an ornate oriental fan...) (In a ___ manner; syn.) ANSWER: flirting
Note: These 25 words are the same ones found on the Words to Know list on the A RAISIN IN THE SUN edition of BOOKMARKS PLUS. Helps students keep track of main characters and provides definitions for new words—and so much more! A lot of helpful information at students’ fingertips. Students and teachers alike are delighted with these handy reading aids. Here's the link:
A Raisin in the Sun ed. of Bookmarks Plus: Fun Freebie & Handy Reading Aid!
Also, to reinforce meaning even more, I have created a A RAISIN IN THE SUN: 50-word Prereading Crossword. Helps prepare students for reading the play! Perfect extra-credit assignment and a great way to introduce the play
Use all three to reinforce meaning!
Here are my unique products over A RAISIN IN THE SUN!
* A RAISIN IN THE SUN edition of Bookmarks Plus—A Handy Reading Aid! Helps students keep track of main characters and provides definitions for new words, author information, themes—and more! A lot of useful information at students’ fingertips! Students and teachers alike are delighted with these handy reading aids!
* A RAISIN IN THE SUN: 50-word Prereading Crossword—Use with Bookmarks Plus! Helps prepare students for reading the play! Use with the A Raisin in the Sun edition of Bookmarks Plus and the A Raisin in the Sun Synonym/Antonym Vocabulary Crossword to reinforce meanings of new words! Perfect extra-credit assignment and a great way to introduce the play!
* A RAISIN IN THE SUN: Synonym/Antonym Crossword—Use with Bookmarks Plus and the 50-word Prereading Vocabulary Crossword to reinforce meanings of new words! Students provide either a synonym or antonym for 25 words. Clues include the sentences from the play! A unique crossword!
* A RAISIN IN THE SUN: 10 Quotefall Puzzles—A Great Spelling Workout! Each quotefall is a quotation from the play. Students form individual words of the quotation by transferring letters from above the double line of the puzzle grid to squares in the columns directly below. Quotefalls can be challenging, but students love working them—and they’re great spelling workouts!
Word-Wise Language Arts Resources
—100s of unique products over most-taught literature!
Fun Teaching~Fun Learning!