This activity can be used as a complete lesson for the Solar Eclipse happening August 21, 2017.
1. Predict the type and time of the solar eclipse happening in your town on August 21, 2017.
2. Distinguish between a total eclipse, a partial eclipse, a penumbra and an umbra.
3. Explain why times of viewing the eclipse vary from location to location.
4. Research the time when the "ring of fire" will be seen in a city found in the path of totality.
5. Read about eye safety with an extra credit opportunity to report out about solar retinopathy.
Students complete a reading activity, highlight key information, and view a google/Berkley simulation of the eclipse that will happen in their town. They will compare and contrast this information with a city that lies in the path of totality.