This short story by William Faulkner is a classic Southern Gothic story. Your students will alternately feel sorry for and repulsed by Miss Emily Grierson.
This unit can be completed by you or a substitute in several days depending on how many of the activities you choose to do or how many you assign as homework.
This unit contains:
• Pre-reading vocabulary worksheet
• Pre-reading vocabulary quiz with KEY
• A short paragraph of background information about William Faulkner and the Southern Gothic genre.
• Ideas for how to read the story
• Close reading questions with KEY
• Thought questions and suggested KEY
• A graphic organizer on the character of Miss Emily
• A graphic organizer timeline of the story with suggested KEY
• A graphic organizer on similes with KEY
• Write two paragraphs on higher order thinking questions concerning synthesizing and evaluating
• An Objective Quiz over the story with KEY