In this packet you will find:
· Literature Circle Role Activity – In order to go over and assess with students each chapter this activity can be used. It can be used for each chapter or several chapters at a time, rotating roles of students and groups depending on teacher preference. This sheet can be printed for every chapter or can be modified to fit the needs of the classroom.
· Suggested vocabulary – some vocabulary terms pulled from the book to go over with the students. Again, if using the Literature Circle Role Activity, students are picking out vocabulary words themselves. This list of vocabulary can help guide the students in pick their own or used as a starting list for the teacher.
· Author’s Biography Worksheet – a few questions about the author for the students to research
· A Map of major Civil War battles as well as a map key to indicate the roles of the states of each side
· Helpful Links: In assumption that this novel is used in junction with a Civil War Unit, much history about the Civil War will probably be covered in class. However, there are some useful links about the Civil War.
· Quizzes - Teachers can also use the quiz questions to assess students on each chapter or set of chapters. Teachers can also use the quiz questions to help guide the students in creating their own questions if choosing to use the Literature Circle Role Activity.
· Answer Key for Quizzes – Page numbers of where the answers can be found are listed as well as when a student’s opinion to the question is indicated
· Character Trait – an outline of a person is given. Students are to color and design the figure to look like Charley. Around the figure in the empty space the students will write down his character traits. Encourage the students to be detailed in design and description and to use color.
Choice Board – Students can choose from several options. These options let students choose how they show what they know! It provides the opportunity for differentiated activities. Point value and grading is at the teacher’s discretion