Why was the Spanish-American War Important in the Larger Context of American History?
Few students--let alone Americans--know anything substantial about the Spanish-American War and its far-reaching results. With this investigation, students will not only examine key developments in this conflict but also come to understand the greater significance of the war in Cuba more than a century ago.
1) Respond to a Bell Ringer chart that reveals students' background knowledge of the Spanish-American War.
2) Listen to an audio recording comparing the Spanish-American War to the recent conflict in Iraq.
3) Read and compare conflicting newspaper reports about the sinking of the U.S.S. Maine.
4) Watch a video clip that demonstrates the role of yellow journalism in bringing about the war.
5) Analyze a politician's war-time speech about the benefits of the Spanish-American war.
6) Conclude with an exit ticket that has student answer the investigation's compelling question.
Answer Keys and Extend the Lesson Resources Included!