These homework assignments are originally part of our full A Streetcar Named Desire unit. We decided to sell this component separately and it includes the 20 page unit for 13 individual homework assignments. Certain homework assignments target key important moments within a scene, while other assignments review themes and motifs after they have been fully developed with close readings of the text.
These thirteen assignments can just as easily be used in class as part of a review activity. They can be completed individually, with partners or in cooperative groups as they work to reference evidence from the text to support their opinions.
Most importantly, students continue to practice their close reading skills as every homework assignment requires students to return to the text or their notes in order to provide detailed examples or direct quotes to support their ideas and opinions.
The Word Document format allows you to adjust any part of the assignments to suit your teaching style.
Homework titles include:
1. Realism vs. Illusion (2 pages)
2. Stanley’s Personality (1 page)
3. The Poker Game (1 page)
4. Blanche’s Past (1 page)
5. A Letter to Stella (1 page)
6. A Letter to Mitch (1 page)
7. Who Wins? Stanley vs. Blanche (1 page)
8. Uncovering Blanche’s Past (2 pages)
9. The Play’s Conclusions (1 page)
10. Stanley and Stella as parents (2 pages)
11. Images to Create Theme (2 pages)
12. Blanche’s True Past (2 pages)
13. Symbol Association (3 pages)