"A Thousand Splendid Suns" by Hosseini: A Study Guide provides support for a reflective reading of this excellent novel. This Guide is an aid to close and thoughtful reading of the text, not an alternative to it.
1. Teacher's Introduction;
2. List of characters with detailed notes;
3. Analysis of themes;
4. Each chapter typically has a concise commentary and one or more questions (65 in all) which guide the reader to a deeper understanding of the background, themes, and characters of the novel. The questions are excellent for group discussion in class, but can also be used for self-study, homework, formal presentations, written answers, etc. No answers are provided: the students WILL find their answers in the text.;
5. Glossary of relevant literary terms;
6. Suggestions on how to use the questions to promote discussions and presentation in class;
7. Two graphic organizers (plot and main characters) for students to make notes;
8. Ideas for timeline and family tree presentations of the novel. A completed timeline and family tree is included for reference;
9. Map of Afghanistan;
10. Glossary of non-English vocabulary;
11. Family tree of main reltionships.