Do you want your holiday read aloud to have some substance? These no prep differentiated pages will have your students digging deeper without even knowing it.
This packet of reading skills and strategies was created to use with the book A Turkey for Thanksgiving by Eve Bunting.
Each skill or strategy has multiple pages that are differentiated to fit the different needs of your students - you can have all your students working on the same skill but with a page that best fits their needs.
This packet is tailored to this book with specific questions of varying degrees of difficulty. Students will respond by drawing, circling answers, writing sentences and finding text evidence to support their thinking.
Included in the packet:
Directions and Common Core Standards for each skill and strategy. Plus ideas for extending the activities.
* Vocabulary - 4 pages
* Asking Questions - 2 pages
* Author's Point of View- 1 page
* Beginning, Middle, End - 5 pages
* Cause and Effect - 6 pages
* Character Analysis - 4 pages
* Classify and Categorize "Things at a Thanksgiving table"- 5 pages
* Compare and Contrast - 3 pages
* Connections - 5 pages
* Inference/Drawing Conclusion - 3 pages
* Fact and Opinion about bullying - 2 pages
* Main Idea and Details - 8 pages
* Predicting - 3 pages
* Problem and Solution - 5 pages
* Sequencing - 11 pages
* Story Map - 3 pages
* Strong Thought - 2 pages
* Theme - 1 page
* Visualize and writing "Visualize What Turkey was thinking" - 3 pages
* We are thankful writing - 1 page
* Thanksgiving ABC order - 6 pages
* Beginning Letter color page - 1 page
Common Core Standards covered
K.L.5, K.RL.1, K.RL.2, K.RL.3, K.RL.4, K.RL.7, K.RL.9, K.SL.5, K.W.1, 1.RL.1, 1.RL.2, 1.RL.3, 1.RL.4, 1.RL.5, 1.RL.7, 1.RL.9, 1.SL.4, 1.SL.5, 1.SL.5, 1.W.1, 2.RL.1, 2.RL.2, 2.RL.3, 2.RL.4, 2.RL.5, 2.RL.7, 2.RL.9, 2.W.1, 3.RL.1, 3.RL.1, 3.RL.1, 3.RL.2
******PRODUCT UPDATED NOVEMBER 2015******
If you would like more information about this book, visit my blog post titled,
A Turkey for Thanksgiving Teaching Ideas
If you like this you will also like these…
All About Turkeys
I Know an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Pie Rhyming Game
Clifford’s Thanksgiving True False Comprehension Game
The Night Before Thanksgiving Rhyming Game
© Paper, graphics, borders & fonts created by Shawna Devoe 2015
**If you have problems downloading this or any product, please make sure you have a current version of Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Shawna Devoe and The Picture Book Teacher is the sole creator of this product, A Turkey for Thanksgiving by Eve Bunting, and does not claim endorsement or association with the creators of the CCSS or the WIDA ELD standards.