Visual literacy is critical. Whether we're flipping our classes, using visual texts as a supplement to our curriculum, or researching for a project, students need to know how to analyze and comprehend a visual text, often an instructional video.
When I flip my lessons and even when I take students to the lab to complete web searches, research projects, and other related course assignments, students often come away from the video not having retained much information. Visual texts are just as important in this digital age as print ones, and we can't just assume that students know how to read them. Often times, they don't.
In this lesson, students will be introduced to the concept of visual literacy. The lesson itself focuses specifically on video clips because they are used most frequently by teachers in the classroom. However, other types of visual texts are mentioned so that students understand the visual text category is broader than just video clips.
Included, you will find:
- A visual literacy PDF presentation with slides about what it is, what a visual text is, why they matter, and tips for how to approach video clips to retain the information included
- A set of student notes to accompany the presentation
- 3 practice activities that teachers can use to model how to read visual texts, one on literacy, one on Cornell Notes, and one on infographics
- A suggested use and order for teachers
- Extra links you could use to further model how to read a visual text
- Answer keys
No matter the age of your students, if you're considering asking them to watch a video of any length for your class on their own, they would benefit from this visual literacy lesson. It's designed to put them in a place of accountability by giving them the tools they need to succeed.
Interested in browsing other unique ELA teaching materials from The Reading & Writing Haven? You can do that here
Let's stay connected for updates, sales, new products, and teaching ideas!
A Couple Tips:
* Be sure to click the "follow" button that is located next to my picture so that you can hear about sales and new products!
* By providing feedback on your purchased products, you can earn points, which ultimately translate into cash toward future purchases...bonus! Plus, I'd love to hear from you.
© 2017 The Reading & Writing Haven
All rights reserved by author.
Duplication limited to single classroom use only.
Electronic distribution limited to single classroom use only.