How it Works!
This novel study includes a series of activities to help students improve their reading comprehension while also checking for understanding.
The study encompasses five activities:
1. Before you read: these questions activate student’s prior knowledge and get their brain thinking about the novel and events to come.
2. Vocabulary: these focus words increase student’s understanding of vocabulary in the novel and expose them to new language.
3. Comprehension: these multiple choice and short response questions check for understanding as students read the novel.
4. ELA activity: these activities give students an opportunity to practice topics covered in their ELA standards (Common Core).
5. Extension: these activities and questions help students extend comprehension on a deeper level. Also great to use for students who finish early.
Aligned with Common Core
Many of the activities are aligned with common core standards seen across 4-8th grade ELA Standards: Reading and Literature.
2. Central message
3. Analyzing text events, settings, and characters
4. Meaning of words
5. Point of view
6. Integrated ideas and topics
7. Author’s claim
8. Compare and contrast
9. Tone and mood
10. Making connections
Other Resources You Maybe Interested In:
*STAAR Reading Boot Camp Bundle II
*Inference Task Cards
*Reading Question Stems
*Reading Test Strategy
*Reading Vocabulary Cards