NOTE: This puzzle can be used before or after students read the book. Also, since most answers consist of one-word synonyms, students benefit from the use of a thesaurus rather than a dictionary.
This crossword contains 47 challenging words from A WRINKLE IN TIME. Either as a homework assignment or as an opportunity for students to work with a thesaurus in class, it’s a great way to familiarize students with new words while preparing them for reading and understanding the book. Note that the parts of speech are included to aid students in finding the exact answer.
Examples of clues:
1. Contagious (adj.) Answer: CATCHING
2. Unadulterated (adj.) Answer: PURE
4. Vulnerable: Open to ___; adj. Answer: HARM
6. Conceive (v.) Answer: UNDERSTAND
8. Emanate: to ___ outward; to radiate (v.) Answer: FLOW
I have included two versions of the clue page: one with a word box and the other without.
FYI: This puzzle includes the 25 Words to Know from the A WRINKLE IN TIME edition of BOOKMARKS PLUS, which students can refer to for definitions as they read the book, as well as short descriptions of main characters, author information, and more. See description below.
Also, to reinforce meaning even more, I have created A WRINKLE IN TIME synonym/antonym crossword over the same 25 words. A great way to test students’ understanding of synonyms and antonyms! Clues include the sentences from the book! See description below.
USE ALL THREE PRODUCTS TO REINFORCE MEANING!
Here are my unique products over A WRINKLE IN TIME—the puzzles are perfect activities for early test finishers, between lessons, extra credit, or at the end of the day! View them in my store.
* A WRINKLE IN TIME edition of Bookmarks Plus —A Handy Little Reading Aid!
Helps students keep track of main characters and provides definitions for 25 new words—and so much more! A lot of helpful information at students’ fingertips! Students and teachers alike are delighted with these handy reading aids! No more dog-eared pages!
* A WRINKLE IN TIME: 47-word Prereading Vocabulary Crossword—Great Prep for the Book! Use with A WRINKLE IN TIME edition of Bookmarks Plus and A WRINKLE IN TIME Synonym/Antonym Vocabulary Crossword to reinforce meaning of 25 vocab words!
* A WRINKLE IN TIME: Synonym/Antonym Vocabulary Crossword—A Great Way to Introduce Synonyms and Antonyms! Use with A WRINKLE IN TIME edition of Bookmarks Plus and A WRINKLE IN TIME 47-Word Prereading Vocabulary Crossword to reinforce meaning of 25 vocab words!
Word-Wise Language Arts Resources
—100s of unique products over most-taught literature!
Fun Teaching~Fun Learning!