SERIES OF MENTAL MATH WORKSHEETS FOR Â± GR/YR 5
Grade 4-6 learners often struggle with sums using 0 and 1. Although these sums are generally easy, learners tend not to think them through. This set of five worksheets may be used to establish whether learners understand these concepts. Each worksheet has 50 questions and will take about 5 minutes (depending on the age/class).
Discuss the properties of 0 and 1 before you hand out the tests:
What happens to a number when you . . .
1) add 1? (The number increases by one)
2) subtract 1? (The number decreases by one)
3) multiply it with 1? (The number stays the same)
4) divide it by 1? (The number stays the same)
5) add 0? (The number stays the same)
6) subtract 0? (The number stays the same)
7) multiply it with 0? (The answer is always NIL)
Remember, you may not divide by 0!