Autism visual aids are most commonly referred to as PECS, which means: Picture Exchange Communication System.
This system has several phases spanning from pointing at symbols on a communication board, exchanging large cards with symbols or real photo's for the item, and using smaller hook and loop fastener routines and schedules.
Visual aids can be used for in a variety of situations and occasions, such as: school, shopping, and home.
Some children who are non-verbal find visual resources brilliant for communicating their wants and needs.
Our range of Boardmaker and real stock photo visual aids have been tried and tested, and we've received excellent feedback regarding successful response rates and communication breakthroughs.
You can buy our handy bundle which contains ALL our Boardmaker resources (excluding any visual aids made after Sept 2016) which totals 141 visual aids: CLICK HERE TO VIEW MONEY SAVING BUNDLE
In this pack of PECS / Boardmaker symbols - you'll find AAC action symbols in Classic, High Contrast, Sign Language, Persona (Teen), and Thinline (Adult). (Symbols vary in each category - each symbol for each category is listed below).
NOTE: When transferring the High Contrast symbols to PDF via Boardmaker, the printing quality can differ depending on your printer, and the edges around the symbols can look grainy - I have added an updated separate High Contrast PDF which should print a lot better after I edited via Photoshop.
* Classic Symbols - add symbols, ask, ASL, change board, change overlay, close pop up, communicate, communication, curse, express (x3 - three different symbols for express), fingerspelling, other board, look to choose, lip reading, no symbol, not on this board, not on this page, order, PECS, press, press switch, repeat speech, scanning, sign, speak, talk (x2 - two different symbols), tell, try another page, turn the page, volume up, volume down.
* High Contrast symbols - ask (x2 different symbols), ASL, communicate, communication, express (x4 different symbols), look to choose, no symbol, order, scanning, talk (x2 different symbols), tell (x2 different symbols), turn the page, volume up, volume down.
* Sign Language - access, ask, fingerspelling, lip reading, say, sign, talk, tell, volume.
* Thinline (Adult) - ask (x3 - woman and man versions), communicate, communication (x2 - woman and man versions), express, recharge, speak, speech (x2 - woman and man versions).
* Persona (Teen) - ask (x2 - girl and boy versions), asked (x2 - girl and boy versions), close pop up, ASL, communicate (x4 - girl and boy versions), communication, express (x2 - girl and boy versions), order, recharge, say (x2 - girl and boy versions), said (x2 - girl and boy versions), talk (x2 - girl and boy versions), talked (x2 - girl and boy versions), tell (x2 - girl and boy versions), told (x2 - girl and boy versions), turn the page, volume.
- PDF and ready to print
- Ideal for introducing AAC, PECS and visual aids
- Print, laminate, trim, and (OPTIONAL) Velcro :)
Follow our page on Facebook: www.facebook.com/asdpecs
Boardmaker Picture Symbols provided by The Picture Communication Symbols © 1981–2010 by Mayer-Johnson LLC. All Rights Reserved Worldwide. Used with permission. Boardmaker™ is a trademark of Mayer-Johnson LLC
2100 Wharton Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15203
Phone: 1 (800) 588-4548
Fax: 1 (866) 585-6260
Web site: www.mayer-johnson.com
This work is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. To view a copy of this license, visit http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/3.0/ or send a letter to Creative Commons, 444 Castro Street, Suite 900, Mountain View, California, 94041, USA.