AAC Core Vocabulary Interactive Activities 10 Weeks to 40 Core Words
Also included in
- If you're looking for core vocabulary activities for your beginning AAC users, this resource is for you. This AAC Starter Kit resource is for you to get started with implementing core words now, even if you don't know a lot about AAC! Support alternative communicators with core words in your speechPrice $76.20Original Price $94.75Save $18.55
- Are you looking for a curriculum for your AAC users that builds core word use, formulation of phrases and sentences, formulation of narratives, and touches on writing skills? Feel confident implementing core vocabulary with your nonverbal and minimally verbal students.This time and money-saving bundPrice $574.90Original Price $703.50Save $128.60
Feel more confident with core vocabulary implementation for AAC! This resource will provide you with up to a full school year's worth of core word implementation materials and activities for teaching core words to beginning AAC users. This resource provides a variety of interactive books, teaching activities, games, and strategies to teach the early 40 core words.
Interactive activities, interactive books, core word wall, word of the week materials, and more will help you teach core words to your AAC users, .
- p. 4-14: Explanation of core words, time-delay teaching, data sheets, explanation of the resource
- p. 15-16: list of the 4 words/week, complete 40-word communication board
- p. 17-45: lists of the words/week and 3X5 sized symbols for classroom/therapy room wall-sized communication board, & additional lists of phrase examples
- p. 46-136: interactive books for all 10 weeks (or months)
- p. 137-144: Hide & Seek symbols
- p. 145-213: Fun activities for practice
- p. 214-225: CVI-adapted symbols and board
- p. 226-274: Words of the week handouts, door hangers, letter to home, Aided Language Stimulation brochure, & suggested activities for the environment
4 target core words per week (or month) planned out over 10 weeks or months. (Many students need 2 weeks or even a month per set of words)
For each week/month of 4-words there are 5 days worth of activities for implementing/teaching them
- Aided Input - complete with large symbol cards and a communication board
- Interactive books and expansion ideas
- Hide & Seek Symbols game - an environment hunt
- A suggested game, toy, or activity for practicing the words in a context
- and a game or activity that provides decontextualized reinforcement/practice of the words; such as a board or card game.
- symbol cards (approximately 4.5 X 3) for use in the classroom,
- a complete 40-location communication board.
- interactive book each week Suggestions for expanding this activity are provided..
- environment hunt activity for examples of the symbols.
- suggested games or activities for practicing the words in a context.
- game or activity each week that provides decontextualized reinforcement/practice
- 40-location communication board and the larger symbol cards are also provided in high contrast bright red/yellow for students who do/might have cortical vision issues.
There are also:
- handouts about core words and Aided Language Stimulation to send home and to give to other staff,
- letters to home
- door hangers for visual cues in the environment
- additional symbol cards to use in the environment
- additional suggestions for contexts to use the words
- suggestions for using core words in every day routines and activities,
- activities to simulate other real-life activities that you may not have access to within your intervention setting or classroom
This resource will provide you with up to a full year's worth of core vocabulary implementation materials and activities. (depending upon the learning pace of your students)
⭐ Research shows use of core vocabulary words provides AAC users with the vocabulary they need to meet most of their communication needs.
⭐ The DLM research has identified a basic core of 40 words that are a beginning word set to meet the needs of emerging communicators.
⭐ Activities are similar Activities and Games for a Year of Core and Teach Me Core Words resources.
⭐ Suggestions included for using core words in every day routines and activities,
⭐ Suggestions for activities to simulate other real-life activities that you may not have access to within your intervention setting or classroom.
☀look, this, is, mine
☀I, want, like, it
☀you, have, more, different
☀not, where, help, go
☀he, can, do, that
☀finished, put, need, stop
☀get, here, don’t, open
☀turn, are, some, she
☀what, in, all, on
☀who, over, up, when
Let your students set the pace; 10 weeks or 10 months. You'll find success whatever the pace.
✯ Move at a pace that works for the students
✯ Always presume competence, provide maximum opportunities for genuine communicating
✯ Use the least intrusive cues and prompts possible.
✯ Consistent partner use of Aided Language Stimulation is crucial.
Assemble once, use forever!
Send books home for carry-over, along with weekly letters.
Effective because practice opportunities move from input to contextualized and then decontextualized activities.
Based on Evidence Based Core Vocabulary research.
This product takes a bit of time to prep, but it's SO comprehensive and provides structure to teaching core words, which is something I was struggling with! Now I can plan my sessions around each week and know my students are getting solid exposure and practice using this product.
Great core word lessons with a vocabulary that builds in new words while reviewing previously learned words. I'm really happy that I made this purchase
These activities are great and have helped me with teaching core vocabulary to my most impacted kiddos! It saves me SO MUCH TIME!!! Love this!!
I love that everything is broken down step by step. The visuals are perfect and keep my students engaged.
You might also like Activities for a Year of Core - the first 6 months and 6 Core Words & Teach Me 6 Core Words. Both 6 Core Words Books and 6 More Core Words Books are available in a TEEN version.
For a more in-depth preview, catch my YouTube video here.
You might also like Activities for a Year of Core - the first 6 months and 6 Core Words & Teach Me 6 Core Words
Want to know about new products for AAC implementation hot off the presses?
©susan berkowitz, slp
Permission to print/copy for your caseload only.