AAC Core Vocabulary Interactive Activities 10 Weeks to 40 Core Words Teens
Also included in
- Feel confident teaching core words to your teen augmentative communication users! Finding AAC implementation resources that are focused on older students can be really difficult. Here are interactive books and activities featuring core words with older student images. Done for you activities to helpPrice $52.00Original Price $65.00Save $13.00
- Are you looking for a curriculum for your AAC users that builds core word use, formulation of phrases and sentences, formulation of narratives, and touches on writing skills? Feel confident implementing core vocabulary with your nonverbal and minimally verbal students.This time and money-saving bundPrice $574.90Original Price $703.50Save $128.60
- This is a requested bundle of aac core vocabulary, language in life skills, and developing narratives resources appropriate for adolescents. It includes AAC core word activities, games, and interactive books for teens; language in life skills activities for older students; and narrative developmentPrice $105.00Original Price $131.25Save $26.25
Feel more confident with AAC core vocabulary implementation with your teen users! This resource will provide you with up to a full school year's worth of implementation materials and activities for teaching core words to beginning AAC users. This resource provides a variety of interactive books, teaching activities, games, and strategies to teach the early 40 core words.
4 target core words per week (or month) planned out over 10 weeks/months. (Many students need 2 weeks or even a month per set of words)
Core words used are:
☀look, this, is, mine
☀I, want, like, it
☀you, have, more, different
☀not, where, help, go
☀he, can, do, that
☀finished, put, need, stop
☀get, here, don’t, open
☀turn, are, some, she
☀what, in, all, on
☀who, over, up, when
5 days worth of activities for teaching each set of words; Use Aided Input, interactive books, Hide & Seek Symbols, a specific fun activity or game, and a final game or activity.
• Symbols provided on large cards (approximately 4.5 X 3) for use in the classroom, as well as on a complete 40-location communication board.
- p. 4-14: Explanation of core words, time-delay teaching, data sheets, explanation of the resource
- p. 15-16: list of the 4 words/week, complete 40-word communication board
- p. 17-45: lists of the words/week and 3X5 sized symbols for classroom/therapy room wall-sized communication board, & additional lists of phrase examples
- p. 46-136: interactive books for all 10 weeks/months
- p. 137-144: Hide & Seek symbols
- p. 145-207: Fun activities for practice
- p. 208-219: CVI-adapted symbols and board
- p. 220-268: handouts, letter to home, door hangers, activity ideas and more
- handouts about core words and Aided Language Stimulation to send home and to give to other staff,
- letters to home
- door hangers for visual cues in the environment
- additional symbol cards to use in the environment
additional suggestions for contexts to use the words
⭐ Research shows use of core vocabulary words provides AAC users with the vocabulary they need to meet most of their communication needs.
⭐ The DLM research has identified a basic core of 40 words that are a beginning word set to meet the needs of emerging communicators.
⭐ Activities are similar Activities and Games for a Year of Core and Teach Me Core Words resources.
⭐ Suggestions included for using core words in every day routines and activities,
⭐ Suggestions for activities to simulate other real-life activities that you may not have access to within your intervention setting or classroom.
Let your students set the pace; 10 weeks or 10 months. You'll find success whatever the pace.
✯ Move at a pace that works for the students
✯ Always presume competence, provide maximum opportunities for genuine communicating
✯ Use the least intrusive cues and prompts possible.
✯ Consistent partner use of Aided Language Stimulation is crucial.
Assemble once, use forever!
Send books home for carry-over, along with weekly letters.
Effective because practice opportunities move from input to contextualized and then decontextualized activities.
Based on Evidence Based Core Vocabulary research.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ So glad to find this teen friendly resource! Thank you!
*It is difficult to find materials that are appropriate language-wise AND image-wise for older emerging communicators. I appreciated that this resource makes a pointed effort fit that need, and also liked the many activities suggested/included to address teaching core words.
*Satisfied with the purchase and would buy from this seller again!
*Great for my life skills classes at the middle and high school level!
You might also like Activities for a Year of Core - the first 6 months and 6 Core Words & Teach Me 6 Core Words. Both 6 Core Words Books and 6 More Core Words Books are available in a TEEN version.
• AAC Core Vocabulary 3 Games Bundle for Speech Therapy or Special Education
• AAC Core Vocabulary Getting Started Kit bundle for Beginning Communicators
• AAC Core Vocabulary More of the Core for AAC Users and Emerging Communicators
©susan berkowitz, slp
Permission to print/copy for your caseload only.