A unit lesson presentation with 6 sessions on teaching and learning resources of affixes and roots based on New Bloom's Taxonomy.
After completing this unit students will be able to:
- SESSION 1 - REMEMBERING: Recall and list common prefixes and suffixes.
- SESSION 2 - UNDERSTANDING: Infer and grasp the meaning of common affixes.
- SESSION 3 - APPLYING: Apply and demonstrate the accurate knowledge of affixes.
- SESSION 4 - ANALYSING: Analyse and infer the use of affixes in sentences.
- SESSION 5 - EVALUATING: Assess and evaluate the use of affixes in sentences.
- SESSION 6 - CREATING: Create and compose new word patterns with affixes.
This download includes:
- ESL GAMES WORLD - Use Word Building Game – Prefixes and Suffixes – to answer questions and score points.
- Scaffolding Notes 1: Root, Affix, Prefix, Suffix
SESSION 1: REMEMBERING - RECALL-LIST
- EXERCISE 1: Name and state the common prefixes with meaning and examples.
- Scaffolding Notes 2: Common Prefixes with Meaning and Examples
- EXERCISE 2: Name and state the common suffixes with meaning and examples.
- Scaffolding Notes 3: Common Suffixes with Meaning and Examples
SESSION 2: UNDERSTANDING - INFER-GRASP
- EXERCISE 3: Interpret and verbalise pictures by adding affixes to root words.
SESSION 3: APPLYING - APPLY-DEMONSTRATE
- EXERCISE 4: Form new words using common Latin and Greek affixes.
SESSION 4: ANALYSING - ANALYSE-INFER
- EXERCISE 5: Use common affixes and roots as clues to the meaning of a word.
SESSION 5: EVALUATING - ASSESS-EVALUATE
- EXERCISE 6: Recognise and correct the inappropriate use of affixes.
SESSION 6: CREATING - CREATE-COMPOSE
- EXERCISE 7: Create new words using affixes and roots.
- EXERCISE 8: Demonstrate the mastery of using PREFIXES AND SUFFIXES in writing.
- RUBRICS: Scaffolding Notes 4: Prefixes and Suffixes Rubrics.
- EXERCISE 9: Answer the following questions to test your knowledge of affixes and roots.
- EXERCISE 10: Answer the following questions to test your knowledge of affixes and roots.
- EXERCISE 11: List all the words in the pattern – prefix-root word-suffix from the following extract.
- EXERCISE 12: List common affixes used in Math, Science and Social Studies Curriculum with root words.
- EXERCISE 13: Use prefixes and suffixes to make new words as denoted by the BINGO lines.
- EXERCISE 14: Choose the correct prefixes and suffixes to fill in the blanks.
- EXERCISE 15: Make FIVE words each using the prefixes fore–, dis- and re- to go with the meaning.
- EXERCISE 16: Make FIVE words each using the suffixes –ty, -fy and -ate to go with the meaning.
- EXERCISE 17: Frame new words with given prefixes based on the meanings mentioned.
- EXERCISE 18: Frame new words with given suffixes based on the meanings mentioned.
Here are some possible uses for these in your classroom:
- To challenge early finishers
- For effective tutoring
- As ESL stations and sub tubs
- As holiday work and homework
- For small group collaborations
- For an end of unit assessments
- For reinforcement and enrichment
This is what teachers say about these resources:
Customer Tips: How to get TPT credit to use for future purchases
- Please go to your My Purchases page (you may need to log in). Beside each purchase, you'll see a Provide Feedback button. Simply click it and you will be taken to a page where you can give a quick rating and leave a short comment for the product.
- Each time you give feedback, TPT gives you feedback credits that you use to lower the cost of your future purchases.
- I value your feedback greatly as it helps me determine which products are most valuable for your classroom so I can create more for you.
- Look for the green star next to my store logo and click it to become a FOLLOWER. You will now receive email updates about this store. Be the first to know about my new discounts, freebies, and product launches.
Find Me Here: