THIS UNIT HAS IT ALL! All you need are the students...
This is a complete Age of Jackson Unit. This unit includes the following lessons and activities:
• Lesson #1 - Fast and Furious Reading Guide – A quick overview of Andrew Jackson’s life. This serves only as an introduction and does not include may details about his presidency. (30 – 35 minutes)
• Lesson #2 - 5 Internet based information guides about Andrew Jackson. One resource is not on the web. If you do not have access to the Internet, please feel free to create hard copies of these reading handouts. After visiting these website, students will complete a short reading guide and share their information with other students – jigsaw format. The reading guides will cover the following:
o The Strong Presidency of Jackson
o South Carolina Nullification Controversy
o The War Against the Bank
o Jackson vs. Clay and Calhoun
o The Trail of Tears
o Jackson on the issue of slavery (this activity will take about 55- 60 minutes to complete)
• Activity 3 - Nullification Crisis PowerPoint – Students will complete a set of guided notes as it relates to the Nullification Crisis. This includes the student notes and the teacher’s version. (30 -35 minutes)
• Lesson 4 – Two activities that explore the Trail of Tears.
o Students will watch and complete a short video guide as it relates to the Trail of Tears. (15- 20 minutes)
o Students will complete a close reading activity as it relates to a primary source about the Trail of Tears. The primary source is an American solider recounting his time when he was with the Cherokee on the trail. (45 – 50 minutes)
• Activity 5 – Students will complete a crossword puzzle review. This is an excellent way to prepare the students for the test. This includes student version and a key. (45 – 50 minutes)
• Test – this is includes a student copy and a key.
If you have any questions or concerns about these lessons or activates, please feel free to contact me. My email is firstname.lastname@example.org.