Have your students learn about the Caste System in India from a historical and MODERN DAY perspective!
This lesson combines history with REAL WORLD learning to show students that HISTORY MATTERS! Have your students do an introductory image paired reading that explains what the caste system is and how it began. Then move on to a GROUP WORK activity where students read a FASCINATING NONFICTION ARTICLE that shows how the caste system still affects India today! Your students will be STUNNED and INTERESTED! Mine always are!
Then have students complete WRITING ACTIVITIES that reinforce their reading and writing skills!
-Informational text analysis
As with all "The Handout Betch" lessons, this lesson was designed:
- to align with CCSS Standards
- to be used for an ICT Classroom
- with differentiated activities and multiple entry points for all learners
- with embedded writing strategies
- to fill at least 1 class period (may be longer depending on your speed/learners)