*New 2020 resource** Distance Learning Compatible
Check back on 1/9 for access to the bell ringers and assessments. If you purchase the resource now, all you need to do is re-download the resource from TPT by logging into your account and clicking on "My Purchases." Find this resource and then click "Download." Thank you for your patience during this time.
This resource includes ALL the content your students need to know to master AP Biology Unit 6: Gene Expression and Regulation and ALL of the tools you need to successfully teach this course.
What topics are covered in this complete curriculum for Unit 6: Gene Expression and Regulation
Topics included in Unit 6 in alignment with those specified by the College Board:
- Topic 1: DNA and RNA Structure
- Topic 2: Replication
- Topic 3: Transcription and RNA Processing
- Topic 4: Translation
- Topic 5: Regulation of Gene Expression
- Topic 6: Gene Expression and Cell Specialization
- Topic 7: Mutations
- Topic 8: Biotechnology
What is Included in this product?
**Please download the preview (coming soon) for a more comprehensive look at what is included**
This product includes:
- A 10-page unit overview with pacing suggestions for the whole year, helpful hints/tips for first time teachers, and a list of additional resources to help supplement your course
- A 13-page implementation guide, which provides detailed suggestions for how to implement the content day by day. Detailed distance learning suggestions and alternatives are also provided for each day
- An example pacing plan for block-schedules
- A 93-page PDF workbook with guided notes--activities, labs, and worksheets are seamlessly embedded into the workbook. The workbook contains a built in unit study guide and contains the Learning Objectives and Essential Knowledge from the College Board as an easy reference for your students.
- Activities/Labs embedded into the workbook include:
- 2 Case Studies:
- Bacterial Transformation + an extension activity
- Cystic Fibrosis
- 2 Case Studies:
- 2 Labs
- Gel Electrophoresis candy lab; teacher notes included
- Bacterial Transformation (dry lab); teacher notes included
- 2 Labs
- 3 Biological Applications
- Using Restriction Enzymes
- Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR)
- Gel Electrophoresis
- 3 Biological Applications
- 9 Worksheets and Activities
- DNA Replication: An Overview
- DNA Replication: Key Players
- Lagging Strand: A Closer Look
- Gene Expression: Overview
- Creating Restriction Maps
- Prokaryotic vs Eukaryotic Transcription
- The Steps in Translation
- Gene Expression: Understanding the Genetic Code
- Gene Expression of Dragons
- 9 Worksheets and Activities
- A teacher-editable version of the workbook and complete answer key with example student responses are also provided so that you can customize this according to the needs of your students.
- 6- PowerPoint presentations with over 120+ slides of information aligned to the new CED
- Each PowerPoint has a corresponding lecture video. Both YouTube AND EdPuzzle options are included for distance learning
- Formative and summative assessments including 1 quiz, and 1 unit test. Detailed answer keys are provided for ALL assessments.
- Google Forms version of each assessment included for distance learning.
- Bell Ringers for each day of the unit with answer keys provided in the "Slides Notes" section of the PowerPoint. Distance learning suggestions included.
**The AP biology exam was updated for the 2019-2020 school year.** You can find the updated course description guide here. Make sure that you and your students are prepared for these changes. Save countless hours of research aligning your content to the new AP biology course outline by purchasing this resource.
**Why should I purchase this resource from you and use it in my classroom?**
This is a valid question! When I first started teaching AP biology, it was tough to say the least. The resources available to me were limited or not beneficial to my students. PowerPoints, especially, were the hardest resource to come by. So, I created this curriculum myself. I aligned it to the AP biology course and made it so that my students would actually benefit from the content. The year I started using this curriculum, the pass rate at my school went from an average of 55% to an average of 90%. Currently, I have a 92.5% pass rate. I received so much positive feedback from my students as well! The best compliment I ever received was when two of my previous students came back to visit me during their freshman year at college. They came to tell me that my curriculum was the reason they were excelling in their college biology class (and that they were still using my PowerPoints to study)! Currently I am working on adding even more resources to my store so that teaching AP biology is LESS stress and MORE fun for you and your students. I am truly here to help you, so please don't hesitate to reach out. I would love to hear from you!
**How is this product distance learning compatible?**
The implementation guide included has day-by-day suggestions and alternatives provided for distance learning. Since all of the information is organized into a workbook, you only need to assign the workbook ONCE digitally and the students will have all of the information for the whole unit. It will help keep them on track and organized while they are out of the classroom. All PowerPoints have both YouTube and EdPuzzle video links included. All assessments have Google Forms versions so that you can assign them digitally. ASSIGNING TO STUDENTS DIGITALLY--The program Kami can be used by your students to edit the PDFs. Notability (iPads) is also a great program your students can use to edit the packets digitally if you do not want to print them, or for distance learning.
**How long will it take to teach this unit?**
Before you begin this unit, I HIGHLY suggest that you look back through your calendar and see where you are at for pacing to finish by the May exam. The unit will take approximately nine to eleven 50 minute classes, or six to seven 80/90 minute classes. The pace of the unit will depend on the class and their prior knowledge. The workbooks are editable so you can make adjustments to the curriculum as you see necessary depending upon the needs of your students.
- Workbooks help students with their organizational skills because all classroom materials can be found in one central location. The workbooks combine the guided notes with all other material they will need for the unit so that students can seamlessly progress from topic to topic.
- Students can take notes AND work on practice problems in the same place, which helps increase understanding of the content.
- Workbooks help to increase student accountability. If students are absent, they simply work on the pages covered on their own.
- It saves on the number of times you will be printing material for your class. I print my workbooks at the start of each unit, and then I do not need to go back to the printers!
- If you want to go digital, it allows you to share just one document with your students!
**How does this product differ from your PowerPoints and activities packets?**
In short, this product contains MUCH more than just the individual PowerPoint and activity packets. This product is all-inclusive, comprehensive, and no-prep. The PowerPoints are just that, PowerPoints, and the activities packets are a collection of worksheets, some labs, and some projects. The PowerPoints and Activities packets are more stand-alone products. This COMPLETE unit has ALL of that PLUS:
- Implementation notes
- More practice problems/activities
- Formative and summative assessments (with digital versions)
- Guided notes (that are organized into a comprehensive workbook)
- Bell ringers
- Unit study guides, and so much more.
Deciding on what option to purchase is totally up to you and your needs. If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to reach out to me via email at email@example.com.
**When will the next units be available?**
My goal is to have all 8 Complete Units up by December. In the past couple of weeks, I have had many teachers reaching out to me expressing their need for AP curriculum resources that are distance learning friendly. So, I decided to go back through and revise my curriculum. My reasoning behind this is two-fold. First, I want to make sure that my resources are still the same high quality that is expected from my fellow teachers/users; second, I want to make sure my resources will be effective while distance learning and make teaching AP bio less stressful. I would hate to put out a curriculum that wouldn't be distance learning friendly since the next few months of teaching are so uncertain. So right now, I am going through each unit and revising my curriculum, as I see fit, and adding more digital resources to better suit distance learning.
What do I do if I purchased the Unit 6 PPT and/or the Unit 6 Activities packet and would like to now purchase this?
Please email me directly at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please feel free to contact me directly with questions or concerns at email@example.com. I would love to address your questions or concerns so that you and your students are 100% satisfied with this resource.
Satisfied with my resource?
If you enjoyed using my resources, please let me know either by emailing me or by leaving a review. I love hearing about your experiences using my resources in your classroom. If you leave a review you will get TPT credits to apply to future purchases! (see instructions below)
How to get TPT credit to use on future purchases:
Please go to your My Purchases page (you may need to login). Beside each purchase you'll see a Provide Feedback button. Simply click it and you will be taken to a page where you can give a rating and leave a short comment for the product.
Want to keep up with me, my classroom, and my resources?
Thank you for purchasing this product and protecting the hard work that went into making it!
With this single user license for this resource you may:
- Use this resource for your classroom/personal use
- Buy additional licenses for others to use this product
- Review this product to recommend it to peers
With this single user license for this resource you may not:
- Upload this product to a website or server
- Give this product to others without purchasing additional licenses
- Copy or modify this resource to offer to others for free or for sale