Compressed Zip File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing. How to unzip files.
5.21 MB | 53 pages
This product is a thorough introduction to the basics of atomic structure and principles of Mass Spectroscopy for the newly revised AP Chemistry curriculum. This product includes a two powerpoint lessons (.ppt), guided student notes, two homework assignments, and a quiz. Topics include:
- Components of an atom.
- what is an isotope?
- What is mass spectrometry?
- How does it work?
- How do you use it to determine average atomic mass?
- How do you use it to identify an unknown element?
The download also includes a handout master (.pdf) that includes a suggested pacing guide, guided notes for students, homework for both lessons, and a short quiz. An answer key is included for the quiz and both homework assignments.
This product is designed to help students prepare for the following learning objectives/science practices:
- Learning Objective 1.14: The student is able to use data from mass spectrometry to identify the elements and the masses of individual atoms of a specific element.
- Science Practice 2: The student can use mathematics appropriately.
- Science Practice 5.1: The student can analyze data to identify patterns or relationships.
While designed specifically for AP Chemistry, this product is also useful for any level of chemistry that uses mass spectroscopy (honors, IB, college).