Compressed Zip File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing. How to unzip files.
0.6 MB | 33 pages
This product is a thorough introduction to the principles of Coulomb's Law and Ionization Energy created specifically for the newly revised AP Chemistry curriculum. This download includes a powerpoint lesson only. It introduces
- Coulombs law (a conceptual derivation of the formula).
- Definition of ionization energy
- Comparative ionization energies of atoms
- Built-in practice problems for in-class group and whole class discussion
This product is designed to help students prepare for the following learning objectives/science practices:
- Learning Objective 1.5: The student is able to explain the distribution of electrons in an atom or ion based upon data.
- Learning Objective 1.6: The student is able to analyze data relating to electron energies for patterns and relationships.
- Learning Objective 1.7: The student is able to describe the electronic structure of the atom, using PES data, ionization energy data, and/or Coulomb’s Law to construct explanations of how the energies of electrons within shells in atoms vary.
- Learning Objective 1.8: The student is able to explain the distribution of electrons using Coulomb’s Law to analyze measured energies.
- Science Practice 5.1: The student can analyze data to identify patterns or relationships.
While designed specifically for AP Chemistry, this product is also useful for any level of chemistry that studies periodic trends (honors, IB, college).