Better than a boring "Major Works Data Sheet" or a bunch of study guide worksheets!
I created these QR Mini Flips for my AP English students this year because I did not have enough textbooks for 90 students!
After the AP exam this year, my students overwhelmingly responded that the QR Mini Flips helped them tremendously on the free response essay question--they said these QR Mini Flips helped them MORE than anything else we did throughout the year.
Next year, we will have 165 students taking AP Lit., and I will be creating even more QR Mini Flips this summer.
What is a QR Mini Flip? It's essentially the ever popular "Major Works Data Sheet" transformed into a cute mini book that allows students to not only record notes on assigned topics but also delve A LOT deeper into essentials like theme, character, and literary techniques. Students get to make some choices of their own and be creative. Oh, and they get to COLOR! I use the mini flips as "homework" and allow students to turn them in as major assessments at the end of the unit (these are nice grade boosters for students who don't test well). I typically give about 20 minutes of class time one day to allow students to cut out their pages and staple them together. I also provide markers, crayons, and a wide array of washi tape rolls for "spines."
Students can scan the QR codes in the QR Mini Flips to read acts of the work online. They can also go directly to audio recordings! These QR Mini Flips come in color and black line versions and are editable!
Here's a sample of tasks included in one of my QR Mini Flips (A Doll's House):
• Quick summary of entire novel task on cover
• Background: Students scan QR codes to record notes about the Victorian Era, Henrik Ibsen, middle-class women in the Victorian Era, and realism
• Act I: QR Code link to chapters and audio & summary tasks
• Act II: QR Code link to letters and audio & summary tasks
• Act III: QR Code link to letters and audio & summary tasks
• Realism: Students record examples of realism and their effects from each act
• Symbols: Students record meanings of various symbols in the play
• Character: Students record questions, quotes, and observations about a free-choice character they trace throughout the play. They work on this page after each act!
• Themes: Students record questions, quotes, and observations about a free-choice theme they trace throughout the play. They work on this page after each act!
• Literary Devices: Students record at least one example of several literary devices featured in the play
You can use QR Mini Flips as textbooks replacement as long as your students have devices. If students do not have devices, they will need to work from hard copies of the texts and they may not be able to access all of the videos, online readings, and audio recordings.
These QR Mini Flips are a great addition to interactive notebooks. They're also a great accountability solutions for literacy circles or independent reading. Finally, they are fabulous study tools for the AP exam! I'm excited to make more QR Mini Flips this summer because I know how much they will help my students throughout the year. I only wish I had made more before this year!
Romeo and Juliet
A Doll's House
The Scarlet Letter
Future Titles (expected completion date: August 27, 2017):
The Great Gatsby
Their Eyes Were Watching God
The Glass Menagerie
Of Mice and Men
Things Fall Apart
To Kill a Mockingbird