This bundle includes two fun group games that will help AP® Government students review important vocabulary terms/key concepts. Inspired by a couple familiar group games, these review games set your students up into a couple large circles, where two teams will compete against each other to try to explain/define and identify key vocabulary terms/concepts.
Version 1: "Vocab Phrase" (Technology Version)
This version is played with technology and requires the use of a few electronic touchscreen devices. Students will pass around a device (tablet, iPad, smart phone, etc.) that has the game pre-loaded. The student holding the device will tap the screen, revealing a vocabulary term/key concept that they must explain to their teammates. Once they have explained the term well enough for their team to accurately guess it, they pass the device to the person on their right. That person must now do the same thing. Students will continue to pass the device around the circle until the buzzer sounds. The team left holding the device will lose the round and the opposing team will be awarded a point.
Version 2: Traditional Card Vocab Review Game
This version is played with traditional paper cards (no technology required). There is a stack for each theme in the folder and one big comprehensive deck. During each round, one team member will act as the caller and their job is to draw a card from the deck and explain it/define it in such as way that their teammates are able to identify it correctly. Once the team guesses the term, the caller picks up another card. The caller's job is to get the team to correctly guess as many terms as they can within a 1-minute time frame. Then, the caller position switches to the next team. The two teams will compete against each other until the game is over. The objective of the game is to score as many points for your team as possible by correctly guessing the maximum amount of terms. In order to do this, your team also needs to be able to accurately define each term.
For each game, I have included a comprehensive review that features 250+ terms from five major themes of the AP® Government course. You can play this game in the weeks leading up to the exam for a great overall review or I have also divided the terms into 5 themes if you want to do a review on a particular section. These games provide a fun competition in which students are improving their ability to define/explain AP Gov terminology, as well as practicing their identification of those terms.
The five themes covered include in both versions:
1. Constitutional Underpinnings (Foundations, Constitution, Federalism, Bill of Rights, etc.)
2. Institutions (The 3 branches of government, including the bureaucracy)
3. Civil Rights and Civil Liberties (including landmark cases)
4. Linkage Institutions and Political Participation (Voting, Elections, Parties, Media, Public Opinion, Interest Groups, etc.)
5. Policy Unit, Key Laws, and Amendments
What's Included In The Folder:
- Traditional Version: Multiple files of playing cards- there is a deck of cards for each theme and one big deck that includes all 250+ terms. (Please Note: You will have to prep this game by printing and cutting out the set of cards you wish to use- great job for a TA! The cards come in PDF format, but you can still decide which terms you wish to use.)
- Technology Version: Multiple presentations of the game (There are presentations for each individual theme above plus a comprehensive game that covers all terms/concepts. The games come in power point format and are editable.)
- Score sheet for each game
- Student rules sheet for each game
- Detailed Teacher Directions (Provides all of the details you will need to successfully use BOTH games in your classroom)
Check out the preview to read through the basic overview of both games.
Please Note: This bundle offers both games at 25% off but if you would prefer, the Technology Version
and the Traditional Version
are also sold separately in my store for $5 each.
These review games were designed for AP® U.S. Government classes, but you can also modify them for general U.S. Government classes.
Check out these other quality U.S. Government resources (including some other great reviews!) available in my store:
Bingo Bundle: Three Branches of Government
AP® Government Test Bundle- 8 Tests Included!
U.S. Government Warm-Ups (75 total!)
AP® U.S. Government Warm-Ups (95 total!)
AP® U.S. Government Switch-Up Game BUNDLE
AP® U.S. Government Review Game BUNDLE
Vocabulary, Amendments, and Supreme Court Cases Quiz BUNDLE- AP® U.S. Government
Earn credits for your valuable feedback!
After you purchase a product, return to your “My Purchases” page and provide feedback on this product. You’ll earn credits, which will give you discounts on your future TPT purchases. Your positive feedback is always appreciated!
Visit my store and click on the green star to follow me and receive product updates: Holly's Social Studies Store.
You can also follow me on Pinterest by clicking here.