This group game is a fun way to review important AP® Government vocabulary terms/key concepts with your students. Inspired by a couple familiar group games, this review game sets your students up into a couple large circles, where two teams will compete against each other to try to explain as many vocabulary terms/concepts as they can per round. During each round, one team member will act as the caller and their job is to draw a card and explain it/define it in such as way that their teammates are able to identify it correctly. Once the team guesses the term, the caller picks up another card. The caller's job is to get the team to correctly guess as many terms as they can within a 1-minute time frame. Then, the caller position switches to the next team. The two teams will compete against each other until the game is over. I have included a comprehensive review that features 250+ terms from five major themes of the AP® Government course. You can play this game in the weeks leading up to the exam for a great overall review or I have also divided the terms into 5 themes if you want to do a review on a particular section. This game provides a fun competition in which students are improving their ability to define/explain AP Gov terminology, as well as practicing their identification of those terms.
The five themes covered include:
1. Constitutional Underpinnings (Foundations, Constitution, Federalism, Bill of Rights, etc.)
2. Institutions (The 3 branches of government, including the bureaucracy)
3. Civil Rights and Civil Liberties (including landmark cases)
4. Linkage Institutions and Political Participation (Voting, Elections, Parties, Media, Public Opinion, Interest Groups, etc.)
5. Policy Unit, Key Laws, and Amendments
What's Included In The Folder:
- Multiple files of playing cards- there is a deck of cards for each theme and one big deck that includes all 250+ terms. (Please Note: You will have to prep this game by printing and cutting out the set of cards you wish to use- great job for a TA!)
- Score Sheet
- Student Rules Sheet
- Detailed Teacher Directions (Provides all of the details you will need to successfully use this game in your classroom)
Check out the preview to read through the basic overview of the game.
Please Note: I have also created a "technology version" vocabulary review if you prefer to use electronic devices instead of traditional playing cards. Both games will help your students review 250+ vocabulary terms, but they are played in different formats with somewhat different rules. If you would like them both, I sell them in a bundle for 25% off each game.
This review game was designed for AP® U.S. Government classes, but you can also modify it for general U.S. Government classes by simply picking and choosing the terms that are appropriate for the class.
Check out these other quality U.S. Government resources (including some other great reviews!) available in my store:
Bingo Bundle: Three Branches of Government
AP® Government Test Bundle- 8 Tests Included!
U.S. Government Warm-Ups (75 total!)
AP® U.S. Government Warm-Ups (95 total!)
AP® U.S. Government Switch-Up Game BUNDLE
AP® U.S. Government Review Game BUNDLE
Vocabulary, Amendments, and Supreme Court Cases Quiz BUNDLE- AP® U.S. Government
Earn credits for your valuable feedback!
After you purchase a product, return to your “My Purchases” page and provide feedback on this product. You’ll earn credits, which will give you discounts on your future TPT purchases. Your positive feedback is always appreciated!
Visit my store and click on the green star to follow me and receive product updates: Holly's Social Studies Store.
You can also follow me on Pinterest by clicking here.