Explore satire with Huck Finn and other works!
This unit focuses on satirical targets using The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn as its core text.
- Pre-reading activities center around "A Modest Proposal," "Damned Human Race," "Advice to Youth," satirical cartoons, and student identification, analysis, and application of satirical techniques!
- During-reading activities focus on satirical targets in Huck Finn. Some of these activities include double entry journals with an example, analysis of satire through characters in Huck, exploration of Huck's moral development, and realism vs. romanticism in the text.
- For each section of reading, there are essential questions with context, warm-up activities with small passages and model analysis, and larger passage analysis.
- Included are also reference resources for analysis of satire: Sentence stems for assertions and commentary, useful verbs for analysis of satire, satirical techniques with examples, and adjectives to describe diction and language.
Interested in this resource? Here are a few others from Lit Monster Lesson Plans that you might also like:
1) AP Lang Essays Bundle: https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Synthesis-Essay-Argument-Essay-Rhetorical-Analysis-Essay-AP-Lang-Bundle-3639087
2) AP Lang Synthesis Essay Activities: https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Synthesis-Essay-AP-Lang-3637557
3) AP Lang Argument Essay Activities: https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Argument-Essay-AP-Lang-3603618
4) Embedding Quotes for Rhetorical Analysis: https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/AP-Lang-Embedding-Quotes-for-Rhetorical-Analysis-Assertion-and-Thesis-Stems-2833394
5) Rhetorical Analysis Essay Bundle: https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/AP-Lang-Rhetorical-Analysis-Bundle-3576908