In this document, I have compiled what has worked well for me and my students while teaching the synthesis essay for AP Lang. Included is as follows:
1) Overview of the synthesis essay with tips
2) Sample prompt with annotations/explanations
3) How to introduce and connect sources (activities and models)
4) Activities for analyzing visual sources
5) Useful transitions, phrases, stems for concession, refutation, and building off of sources
6) Practice prompt (use as you see fit in addition to the College Board prompts).
7) Activities for connecting sources
8) Assignment for students to build their own prompts with source materials
9) Thesis statements – samples and activity
10) Synthesis essay outline and peer editing activity to use with any prompt
The download comes with a PDF and Microsoft Word (editable) version.
If you have any questions, feel free to use the Q and A function. I'm happy to answer any of your questions.
Mike (Lit Monster)
More AP Lang Resources:
Rhetorical Analysis Workshop
Embedding, Assertions, and Thesis Stems for AP Lang
A Portrait of a Speaker: Creative Rhetorical Analysis
The Crucible for AP Lang
The Things They Carried for AP Lang
Huck Finn for AP Lang
The Crucible, The Things They Carried, and Huck Finn for AP Lang – Discounted Bundle!
The Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass for AP Lang