Also included in
- This growing poetry bundle for AP Literature is a perfect asset to help develop a love of poetry in your students, while ensuring that students learn the essential knowledge from the 2019 CED for AP Literature and Composition. This bundle currently includes:Introductory Poetry Materials: Hook your s$15.30$17.00Save $1.70
AP Literature Characterization in Poetry Mini-Lesson: Empower your AP Lit. or advanced students to think deeply about the distinction between speaker and poet through this mini-lesson on characterization within poetry.
Students will be exposed to the ways that poets develop speakers/personas in their works through diction, selection of detail, tone, and text organization through a brief selection of notes and then will be walked through the process of analyzing the speakers present in "When in Rome" by Mari Evans, whilst being challenged to use textual evidence to make inferences about the text.
Once the mini-lesson is complete, students will demonstrate their understanding by working with a partner or small group to analyze the speaker of the poem of their choice, which they will then present to the class. Rubric and assignment sheet included.
Alignment to AP Literature Curriculum Framework:
CHR-1: Characters in literature allow readers to study and explore a range of values, beliefs, assumptions, biases, and cultural norms represented by those characters.
- 1A: Identify and describe what specific textual details reveal about a character, that character's perspective, and that character's motives.
- CHR-1E: Characters reveal their perspectives and biases through the words they use, the details they provide in the text, the organization of their thinking, the decisions they make, and the actions they take.
This Resource Includes:
- A 24-slide presentation on analyzing the speaker in poetry, guiding students through the analysis process of Mari Evan's poem, "When in Rome"
- A small-group/partner assignment for students to practice analyzing the development of characterization in poetry.
Looking for more poetry resources? Check out the following:
- AP Literature Poetry Reciprocal Teaching Activity
- AP Literature Introductory Poetic Analysis and Explication Activities
- AP Literature Q1 Rubric
How to Get FREE TPT Credit to Use on Future Purchases:
- Go to the My Purchases page and you'll see a Provide Feedback button next to your purchase. Click on it and it will take you to a page where you can give a quick rating and add a short comment in order to receive TPT Credit that you can use for the purchase of your choice!
Want to be the first to know about store discounts, sales, freebies, and new products?
- Scroll to the top of this page and click on the Follow Me button next to my profile picture. This will ensure that you'll get updates about everything going on in my store!
Let's be social! Come connect with me!