This packet contains 15 DBQ Template examples, a blank template for students, a blank scaffolded essay example, and a blank scaffold for students.
Also included is the link to the DBQ Pdf for the DBQ question and documents.
• One of the most challenging parts of the Advanced Placement US History Exam is the Document Based Question.
• In my experience, students struggle with organizing their thoughts, including outside Specific Factual Information, and also including paragraphs on Contextualization and Synthesis.
• To help students practice this process, I created a DBQ Essay template. The template is a graphic organizer that students use to pre-write for their DBQ. What I find most useful about this template is that it can be used two or three times a month whereas writing essays that often is often exhausting for students. The template requires students to examine documents, generate specific factual information (outside facts) that relate to the document (cause, effect, etc), create a three-part thesis, and outline contextualization and synthesis paragraphs. Because it can be used more often than essay writing, students are able to review more possible DBQ topics in preparation for the APUSH exam.
• Since I cannot make a lot of copies without personal expense, I use regular white paper for these templates and students create a foldable to fill in the required information. I have them fold their paper twice -- long ways (hot dog) and then two times down (hamburger) -- so when they open the paper, there are 16 squares. Then, students fill in the titles for each square using the template.
• If you can make a lot of copies, then make a copy of the template for them.
• Review the explanation template included so that students understand how to fill in each box.
• Model the process with them using one of the DBQ examples provided.
• Then, ask students to complete a template on their own.
• DBQs for each example are included for copying, sharing on a digital platform, or projecting.
• Copy this link to access the DBQ file that includes the copy of the DBQ documents and question also found in the American Pageant 15th Edition: http://www.monroe.kyschools.us/userfiles/993/Classes/1603/Document%20Based%20Questions.pdf
• The next stage for students can be either writing the essay or using the included scaffold to write the essay. I included an example of how to do this using DBQ 6.