Your students will love making play dough balloons and popping them while practicing early articulation sounds! I use this as a play dough companion! (can be used without play dough). Use this with bingo dotters, magnetic chips, or other small trinkets! Digital options included (interactive PDF and BOOM cards).
UPDATED in 2020: Now includes Color and Black & White! +No PRINT + BOOM Cards. Later sounds and BOOM Cards (for another digital option) were added October 2020.
Included mats in the print and black & white worksheet versions:
★ Initial/Medial/Final: p, b, m, n, t, d, k, g, f, v, l, s, z, sh, ch, j, th
★ Initial: w, y, h
★ Pre-vocalic r, er, ar, or, air, ear, ire, mixed vocalic r
★ Initial: lblends, rblends
★ Initial sblends: sp, st, sm, sn, sk, sl, sw, mixed initial sblends
★ Blank Mats (to use with any speech/language target)
Included phonemes in the NO PRINT Version (early targets only)
☆ Initial/Medial/Final: p,b, m, k, g, f
☆ sblends: sp, st, sm, sn, sk,
☆ a black & white no prep page with blank balloons to use along with the interactive PDF.
Included phonemes in the BOOM Card Version
☆ Initial/Final P/B/M
☆ Initial/Medial/Final: k, g, f, v, l, ch, j, s, z, sh, th
☆ Initial/medial lblends
☆ Prevocalic r, er, ar, or, air, ear, ire
(future targets to be added to the BOOM decks: sblends, initial h, y, w
Four activities included in each BOOM deck: Each deck contains 60-85 cards! Get a TON of practice! Over 400 BOOM Cards currently (more to be added soon!)
- Sound warm up: There is a sound cue at the top and 30 balloons to tap while practicing the sound in isolation.
- Word Review: This card has all of the targets on one page. Tap the balloon (to circle it) as you quickly practice all of the words.
- Artic Pop Drilling Game: Pop the balloons and then clean up the balloon bits as you practice the target word. The target words are presented one at a time with 5 cues to practice (each card will get 6 trials, or double it for 12!)
- Balloon phrases: There are two carrier phrases (I see a ____ and Where is the ____). The student will drag all of the 10 target words in the phrases and practice.
→ Assembly for color or black & white pages:
Print the pages you need and laminate! You could also place them in page protectors to save time.
→ Color version suggested use: Roll play dough into little balls to start off the activity (I usually have this prepped but students also like to do this). Have the student say each target word and place a ball on top of each balloon. After they have filled up all of the balloons, they will “pop” the balloons by squishing the play dough and practice the words again (therapist will determine the number of trials for each word).
→ Black & White version suggested use: Students will use bingo dotters, crayons, or markers to color in each balloon as they practice the target words. These are great for homework pages!
→ No Print: Just open up on an iPad (or other device) and play! Fully interactive "tap-able" PDF! The student will tap a balloon and it will pop revealing a target word.
Great for distance learning
→ BOOM Cards: You must have a free BOOM learning account. Click the link in the BOOM card PDF file to add the decks to your BOOM library.
→ Variations (for print versions)
• Use bingo chips to cover up the balloons after you practice the target words.
• Use dry erase markers to color the balloons after your practice them.
• Use small toys to place on the balloons after you practice the target words.
Other Play Dough Compantions