This is a speech designed to introduce students to one another at the beginning of the school year in a low-stress way.
Normally I spend a week or two doing some simple team-building, name-learning games and then I introduce this speech. Students will brainstorm on three items that describe or tell about themself. Included in this product is a graphic organizer for students to list the three items and write a small paragraph about why it would describe them.
This is a perfect first speech because the scaffolds are already there: the introduction and conclusion are small and already written for them on the paper, as well as speech transitions between each of the three items! This alleviates stress!
While students ARE giving a speech, the focus is on learning about their personality through the three items. Students feel less nervous for this speech since the graphic organizer incorporates scaffolding and the student isn't writing an entire speech from scratch!
My AVID Classes really enjoyed these speeches... students brought in acting trophies, sports ribbons, their country's flags, cultural items, etc.
A rubric is also included!
**** Additional AVID Products that You Might Love ****
• AVID MEGA BUNDLE!! Costa’s Cards, Learning Logs, Public Speaking Games, College Pennant Project, GPA Sheets, Community Service Trackers and more!
• Vision Boards- Creative Goal-Setting for the New Year- *TPT Top Seller*
• Costa’s Levels of Questioning-Posters and Task Cards *TPT Top Seller*
• Public Speaking Games to overcome Stage Fright!
• College themed BINGO with words like Tuition, Scholarships, GPA, etc.
• CollegeWeek Vocabulary Books
• College Icebreaker Discussion Cards
• College Research Fact Sheet and Design a College Pennant Project
• One page College Research Sheet
• Honor Roll Grades Tracker
• Teaching Study Skills to AVID Students
• Managing Stress and Anxiety Handout
• Binder Organization Template
• AVID Recruiting Cover Page-EDITABLE
• Fun Fridays-Team Trivia
• AVID themed BINGO, words like TRF, 3 Ring Binder, Cornell Notes, etc.
• AVID Team-Building, Fun Friday Trivia Game-100 Cards
• AVID Icebreakers- Would You Rather Questions
• Community Service Tracker- Option 1
• Community Service Tracker- Option 2
• AVID SuperPower Recruiting Posters
• AVID Learning Logs-EDITABLE FILE
• Writing BioPoems
• The Monsters are due on Maple Street- Complete 40 page Unit and Supplemental Activities-GREAT Play for AVID
Thank you for downloading!
****Don't forget to leave feedback and a rating on purchased items to receive TpT credits towards future purchases. That's like FREE MONEY!!!
Click Here to Follow My Store!