In the AVID elective class, learning about and pomoting colleges is a huge component of the curriculum. I created this 3-4 day lesson as a wrap-up to our college unit. It was engaging, hands-on, and educational.
Students are given a college research sheet. There are 2 easy-to-use websites listed on the sheet for students to gather facts about their school such as (city/state, mascot, in-state tuition, acceptance rate %, alumni, interesting facts, etc.)
Students are given a college pennant outline to decorate using the school colors and other aspects from their research. On the back of the pennant, students will write 4-5 of their research facts.
Students come up to the front of the class (I projected their finished pennants on the elmo/overhead) and they present their school to the class. The audience will record these facts on their recording sheet.
At the end of the project, you will have a ton of bright and fun college pennants to display, and students will have learned about 20+ colleges!
*These pennants look GREAT as a bulletin board around the school. I plan to display all the flags with the words "Oh the places we'll go" surrounding it!
Another fun extension could be to have students hang their pennants in the cafeteria or library and invite other classes/grade levels to come to a "college fair"
and have AVID students talk about each of their colleges!
This product contains:
• The college research sheet- all instructions are on the page! Self-centered learning.
• The college pennant outline (works best if printed on cardstock!)
• The outline of what should be included on the front/back of the pennant
• The recording sheet during presentations
• A powerpoint with 10+ real student examples of completed pennants to show your class as examples
*Many of the materials are created in word and are editable!!*
I found that my students were very proud of "their" school and took ownership after they felt like they knew a lot of information about their school and created a custom pennant. The students enjoyed seeing all of the different artwork and it was a great way to practice public speaking for my shy kids.
**** Additional AVID Products that You Might Love ****
• AVID MEGA BUNDLE!! Costa’s Cards, Learning Logs, Public Speaking Games, College Pennant Project, GPA Sheets, Community Service Trackers and more!
• AVID Movie Bundle-- 5 Movie Guides that root for the underdog!
• Vision Boards- Creative Goal-Setting for the New Year- *TPT Top Seller*
• Costa’s Levels of Questioning-Posters and Task Cards *TPT Top Seller*
• Public Speaking Games to overcome Stage Fright!
• College themed BINGO with words like Tuition, Scholarships, GPA, etc.
• CollegeWeek Vocabulary Books
• College Icebreaker Discussion Cards
• College Research Fact Sheet and Design a College Pennant Project
• One page College Research Sheet
• Honor Roll Grades Tracker
• Teaching Study Skills to AVID Students
• Managing Stress and Anxiety Handout
• Binder Organization Template
• AVID Recruiting Cover Page-EDITABLE
• Fun Fridays-Team Trivia
• AVID themed BINGO, words like TRF, 3 Ring Binder, Cornell Notes, etc.
• AVID Team-Building, Fun Friday Trivia Game-100 Cards
• AVID Icebreakers- Would You Rather Questions
• Community Service Tracker- Option 1
• Community Service Tracker- Option 2
• AVID SuperPower Recruiting Posters
• AVID Learning Logs-EDITABLE FILE
• Writing BioPoems
• The Monsters are due on Maple Street- Complete 40 page Unit and Supplemental Activities-GREAT Play for AVID
Thank you for downloading!
****Don't forget to leave feedback and a rating on purchased items to receive TpT credits towards future purchases. That's like FREE MONEY!!!
Click Here to Follow My Store!