Objective: The heart of AVID is gaining the qualities and skills it takes to attain college readiness, and be successful once accepted. But which college is right for you? What distinguishes one university from the thousands, which there are to choose? You will be responsible for researching and presenting information about your 4-year university.
Objetivo: El corazón de AVID está en conseguir las cualidades y habilidades necesarias para alcanzar la preparación para entrar a la universidad y tener éxito una vez aceptado/a. Sin embargo, ¿cuál universidad es adecuada para usted? ¿Qué distingue una universidad de las miles que ya existen? Usted será responsable de investigar y presentar información sobre su universidad de habla hispana de 4 años.
AVID College Research Project and Presentation
AVID Proyecto de investigación sobre la universidad
For this project I translated the documents and added a few more questions to this research project on Universities.
Instead of researching local universities, I had students research universities in Latin America that would fit their needs. Afterwards, students had to present their universities via PowerPoint or Prezi in class.
I also included a list of websites where students can begin their research process. Many were surprised to learn that there are universities in Mexico like El Tec de Monterrey which are exclusively taught in English or that la UNAM is actually one of the top universities in the world or that they speak Portuguese in Brazil and Catalán in Spain.
A few students even decided to research the schools where their parents attended in Latin America or that are located in their small towns. It was a great opportunity for them to compare and contrast University Life in Latin America.
- -Detailed research project instructions
- -Examples include: What is the school banner, mascot, specialties, etc.
- -Questionnaire about the university
- -Student sample
- -List of possible universities
- -Note taking activity for students to hold them accountable during other student presentations.
- Student Sample from the University of Costa Rica
Aligns with the AP Spanish Language and Culture Curriculum. The following subthemes are
Families and Communities | Las familias y las comunidades
- contexto 1 Las comunidades educativas
- contexto 2 Las redes sociales
- contexto 3 La geografía humana
- contexto 4 Las tradiciones y los valores
- contexto 5 La ciudadanía global
- contexto 6 La estructura de la familia
- context 1 Educational communities
- context 2 Social networks
- context 3 The human geography
- context 4 Traditions and values
- context 5 Global citizenship
- context 6 The family structure
Contemporary life - La vida contemporánea
Contexto 1 La educación y las carreras profesionales
Contexto 2 El entretenimiento y la diversión
Contexto 3 Los viajes y el ocio
Contexto 4 Las relaciones personales
contexto 5 Los estilos de vida
contexto 6 Las tradiciones y los valores sociales
Context 1 Education and professional careers
Context 2 Entertainment and fun
Context 3 Travel and leisure
Context 4 Personal relationships
context 5 Lifestyles
context 6 Traditions and social values