34 pages of higher order thinking reading comprehension resources for the picture book "Thelma the Unicorn" by Aaron Blabey.
The reading comprehension activities include: making connections, character traits, word work, the 4H reading strategy, a fun rhyming words game featuring Thelma and Otis, idioms and so much more!
- Making connections – text-to-text; text-to-self; text-to-world
- Text-to-self connections - Uniquely Me!
- Character traits – with text evidence and the STEAL strategy
- Y chart: fame
- Word study – definitions; thinking maps; idioms
- Text structure – summarising; beginning, middle, end and message
- Rhyming words game featuring Thelma and Otis
- 4H reading strategy – posters, bookmarks, student-generated questioning
- Bookmarks to promote reading
You may also be interested my other resource to support books by Aaron Blabey, "The Brothers Quibble" and Piranhas Don't Eat Bananas".
Or these other resources for companion texts that work well with the themes in "Thelma the Unicorn".
"Sugarlump and the Unicorn" by Julia Donaldson - Reading comprehension resources
"Fame Mouse" by Joshua George - rhyming games, writing activities and bookmark
This resource is for personal/classroom use only and is not to be distributed further. Multiple licenses are now available at TpT for a discounted price. No sharing of this product is permitted through internet groups/blogs, offline groups, school district or regional websites/servers, discussion lists, school websites/servers, or personal websites.
Ripper Reading Resources Blog
Ripper Reading Resources Facebook