Back to the Basics with Amy:
"Abandoned Farmhouse" by Ted Kooser: A Study of Poetry, Informational Texts, Documentaries, Analytical Writing, and an Origami Project
Poetry Analysis, Analytical Response-Writing, Poetry-Writing, Hands-On Origami Project, Video Links, News Articles
Genre Connections: Poetry, Informational Texts, Nonfiction texts, Documentary
Skills: Annotation, Figurative Language, Author's Purpose, Main Idea, Theme, Monitor Reading Comprehension, Analytical Writing, Creative Writing, Connecting Genres, In-Depth Discussion
In this bundle, you will receive the following:
1. a PowerPoint presentation
2. the poem "Abandoned Farmhouse" by Ted Kooser
3. Chalk Talk protocol for a unique classroom discussion and informal writing assignment to accompany the poem and the informational text and videos
4. News article and video to further enhance the study of the poem and to make both genre and cultural connections
5. Origami project instructions (video included) and rubric
This lesson can be split into multiple days depending on your preferences. I created it in PowerPoint. You can print individual slides, etc. based on your needs. Video links, news links, and document links are included in the "notes" section with the PowerPoint slides. I have also included a PDF version as well as several Word files, too.
My fonts may not work with your PC; you can adjust them, though.