Absolute and relative location are two basic, important geography tools that all students must master.
While there are many available assignments to teach these concepts to elementary school and middle school/junior high school students, here's one with a twist! Students will locate all 30 NBA teams using absolute and relative location.
Absolute location, of course, requires students to use latitude and longitude to give their answers. Relative location requires cardinal directions (north, south, east, west) and intermediate directions (northeast, northwest, southeast, southwest).
This would be an effective assignment as the NBA season opens its latest season.
Included, please find the assignment with chart for record-keeping, an answer key, a blank map, a political USA/Canada map, and an idea for an extension assignment.
Plus, how about this idea for an educational technology twist? If you have Google Earth installed on your classroom computer(s), you can visit each and every NBA arena! Simply, download the KML file included in this packet and the file should load automatically into Google Earth. Take your students on a virtual tour today. Thank you!
If you like this product, consider purchasing these related items from my store:
1. Absolute & Relative Location Assignment: NFL Football Teams + Google Earth Tour!
2. Let's Explore the Continents! - Use Map Skills to Find Places - Bundle
3. Pirate Pete's Treasure Map Project
: Teach hands-on geography skills in a fun, memorable way!
4. Ancient Civilizations - Egypt - Famous Pharaohs Research Project with Rubric
5. Analyze U.S. Amendments (Bill of Rights) Assignment - Constitution
6. What Time Is It? Introducing American Standard Time Zones Assignment
7. Substitute Lesson A to Z Geography World Cities & Countries
8. Create-a-Country Geography Skills Project - SCALABLE
9. The Aquarium Map Scale Project: Geography: Map Tools: Substitute Lesson
10. Five Themes, Geography - Vocabulary Match Assignment & 3 Puzzles
11. Introductory Geography Terms - Vocabulary Matching Assignment + 6 Puzzles
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License