PROJECT LENGTH: 6 days (with hour-long class periods)
DESCRIPTION: This lesson focuses on the art movements of Abstract and Orphist Art. Throughout this lesson, students study the artworks of famous abstract artists including Sonia Delaunay, Robert Delaunay, Jasper Johns, and Fernand Leger. Students will identify and discuss the characteristics of successful abstract artworks. Students will also identify the similarities between famous abstract artworks. During the creation portion of the lesson, students will use the art elements of line, shape and space, as well as the design principles of unity and emphasis to create their own abstract paintings.
1. Powerpoint which includes step by step project instructions, student exemplars, teacher exemplar, master artworks, and information on the Abstract and Orphist art forms.
2. Reading about Robert Delaunay's artwork, "Hommage à Blériot."
3. Reading and comprehension questions about the Orphist art movement featuring Sonia and Robert Delaunay.
4. Answer key to Orphist art movement reading featuring Sonia and Robert Delaunay.
- 12" x 18" drawing or painting paper
- Watercolor paints
- Water bowls
- Students will be formatively assessed on their knowledge of line, shape, unity, composition, and emphasis while creating their abstract paintings.
- Warm Up and Exit Ticket questions.
- Discussion questions about famous Abstract and Orphist artworks.