Vocabulary targeted in this workbook is from the Building Academic Vocabulary book by Robert Marzano. The stimuli are ten vocabulary words for grades 3-5 in the areas of English and social studies. The words targeted are: Africa, fiction, novel, opinion, camel, century, Ellis Island, immigrate, justice, and labor. This workbook includes:
- A pre- and post-test data sheet
- Word Fact Sheet for each word, which explains the definition, provides a picture, shows the part of speech and related words, and hyperlinks to other helpful images and videos to explain the concept or translate the word.
- Activities to help increase understanding include sorting, reasoning, and answering questions.
- Task cards, intended to allow students to demonstrate comprehension and mastery of the new vocabulary words.
- An interactive notebook template is also included, if students have an interactive vocabulary notebook to use.
Targets Common Core State Standard CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.L.3.5.B Identify real-life connections between words and their use