Academic Vocabulary Expansion
Academic vocabulary refers to the language proficiency essential to learning effectively in school. It's the language we use in the classroom - lessons, books, tests, and assignments, and it's the language that students are expected to have as they progress in school. If you are looking to heighten your students academic vocabulary, this is just what you need! Students learn how to make new words from existing words by adding affixes (Derivation)
This 61-page Academic Vocabulary resource includes:
♥53 word wall cards with their nouns, adjectives, and adverbs
♥reproducible student writing page
This is a great graphic organizer to use with your students. Just copy onto colored paper and cut and you have your Academic Vocabulary Word wall ready to go!
ln my classroom I begin teaching Academic Vocabulary Expansion by:
• teaching the 4 parts of speech. I want to make sure students understand what a verb, noun, adjective and adverb are before we start!
• I then model using a verb and talk it through of how that base can lead to creating nouns, adjectives, and adverbs.
• After modeling I have the students complete the student writing page by writing in the verb, noun and adjective bubbles and then writing a sentence for each of those parts of speech using the verb, noun, or adjective.
• This can be hard for students so I model with some of my own students after I have let them have a try on their own.
• Each day afterward for a week or so I put up a new word and repeat the same procedure.
• We start to look for patterns! We look at word endings in each category and make a list of SUFFIXES that coincide with each part of speech.
• When I am sure they are ready, I present a verb and let them work independently!
• Differentiate your instruction using the adverbs as extra credit written on the back of the page!
Perfect for ESL/ELD classes and great to use with native speakers of English or ELL second language learners. Have fun and watch your students soar!
Reflexive Pronoun Chant - I Can Do It Myself
Relexive Pronouns Grammar Unit
This That Demonstrative Pronoun Word Wall
Reflexive Pronoun Study Pack YOURSELF - HIMSELF
Indefinite Pronouns ALL EACH MANY Word Wall
Check out some of our best sellers
Kinder & 1st Grade Punctuation
Kinder & 1st Grade Sentence Starters
Irregular Past Tense Verb Game
Formal and Informal Language
Place Value with 3 Digit Numbers
Addition With 2 Digit Numbers
50 Sentence Starters Back to School
Addition with Numbers 0-19
Learning Centers Made Simple - Literacy Centers for Reading and Math
Multiplying by 7
Three Sounds of 'ED' Past Tense Verb Games
Past Tense Verb Games - Past Participle
Multiplication 5 Minute Timed Tests Packages - Factors 0-12
Addition with Numbers 0-19
Alphabetize It - Beginning Level Template
Kindergarten Reading Wheels - Transportation
Why What How Story Organizer
Story Organizer -Beginning Middle and End
What Do You Want To Know Story Organizer
My Favorite Part of the Story Graphic Organizer
Reading Strategies for Emergent Readers
Please follow me!:
•Click the green star beside my name at the top of this page OR at the top of my store page.
**Thank you so much for your purchase! If you enjoy my products, please leave feedback:
Why is feedback so important?
When you provide feedback, you’ll earn TPT credits that can be used future purchases!
Getting TPT credits to use on future purchases is easy:
•Go to your My Purchases page
•Beside each purchase you'll see a Provide Feedback button
•Click it and you will be taken to a page where you can leave a quick rating and a short comment about the product.
Thanks a bunch!