The file contains the first chapter of my textbook on critical thinking. The 17-page chapter covers these:
1. A definition of 'critical thinking' which emphasizes the importance of respecting "differences," "logic" and "evidence."
2. Ideal traits of a critical thinker.
3. Benefits of being 'open-minded'.
4. Rogerian Argument and its practical value.
5. Importance of examining assumptions and values.
6. Questions for Discussion [14 questions].
7. Exercises for Thinking:
--10 real-life examples for assumption analysis.
--50 ideal traits for students to choose from.
--Comparing a Critical Thinker with a Bigot side by side.
8. Topics for Writing [8 topics].
The chapter aims to help foster a good understanding of what critical thinking is, what it takes to become a critical thinker, and how critical thinking can benefit our personal and professional lives.
The positive mind-set and a respectful attitude emphasized in the chapter often help produce a learning-conducive atmosphere in a class whether online or on campus.
Hope you find the chapter helpful. Your constructive feedback will be sincerely appreciated! ^_^