Acids, Bases, and Salts – A Fifth Grade SMARTBoard Introduction is a SMARTBoard 5th grade level instructional presentation
It includes a SMARTBoard presentation of the text along with two fully interactive presentation slides that are also available in PDF format to print and issue as classwork, homework, or attach/incorporate into an interactive notebook. Students can also complete the activities during the presentation as reinforcement of the presentation.
The presentation includes:
• Introductory terminology (salt, acid, indicator, base, neutralization reaction, acidity, alkalinity, and pH scale)
• How salts are formed (metal + nonmetal, acid + base)
• Acids, bases, and indicators explained
• How neutralization reactions occur (stomach acid + sodium bicarbonate example)
• Explanation of acidity and alkalinity along with the pH scale
• 4 examples of how salts are/have been used
• Where salts are located (mines and seawater evaporation ponds)
The last two slides have white-backgrounds and are used for the printables. The printables are already in PDF form in the package. The white-background pages are not included in the total pages. I include it in case you would like to change any of the data and recreate the printables.
The interactive/review slides and printables:
• The first interactive activity is a labeling/matching activity where students match descriptions with vocabulary/pictures. Included vocabulary: salt, acid, indicator, base, neutralization reaction, acidity, alkalinity, and pH scale, and deicer
• The second interactive activity has students placing acid or base descriptions under the correct headings. Some of the descriptions include lemon, pH>7, and charged hydrogen particles. There are 12 total descriptions.
SMARTBoard presentations require the use of Notebook Software. They are not compatible with Promethean Active Inspire software. There are free SMARTBoard viewers online, however.