NOTE: This product is meant to be used after students have read the book.
Each puzzle contains a quotation from the story. The quotation describes one main character: Ellen, Matt, Shad, or Bill. The words of the quotation have been broken up, placed in "domino" tiles (three letters or spaces per tile), and then shuffled around. Students rearrange the tiles to form the quotations. Directions include hints for the first puzzle, which focuses on Ellen:
The sight of a pretty face was a thing of little value in Ellen’s world.
Quotation Dominoes require students to use their knowledge of ACROSS FIVE APRILS and their knowledge of spelling and word usage. A perfect filler activity for after tests, between lessons, or at the end of the day!
NOTE: Teachers may want to provide letter hints or allow students to work in pairs.
While you’re here, take a look at the the ACROSS FIVE APRILS edition of BOOKMARKS PLUS—a very handy little reading aid! And don’t forget to download THE OUTSIDERS edition—it’s FREE!
TESTIMONIALS FOR BOOKMARKS PLUS FROM TEACHERS OF ALL LEVELS!
***My students LOVE these bookmarks. I have one for each of the 11 pieces of literature they read with me during the year. Not only does it keep their place, the bookmarks provide valuable information about each text, as well as helpful vocabulary that could be incorporated into assessments. I actually copy limited numbers of each in color and use as class incentives. My 10th graders LOVE to win contests to upgrade their bookmarks to color (way better than candy as a prize too). I cannot say enough positive things about these bookmarks!—Matthew R.***
***To say that my students loved these would be an understatement. They referred to them all the time, got really upset if their bookmark got misplaced, and said they were the best thing I'd ever given them... Highly recommend!*** H.S. Language Arts Teacher
***I purchased these bookmarks for 4 novels after downloading the THE GRAPES OF WRATH freebie bookmark. They are wonderful! The students refer to them frequently while reading. Struggling readers feel empowered and participate in text discussion much more often. Definitely worth the price!—Portigo P.***
***I gave them to the students a couple of days before we started so they could get acquainted with the story. Thank you!*** Nancy M.
I think you’ll find my products both fun and unique! Download the FREE THE OUTSIDERS edition of BOOKMARKS PLUS and see for yourself!
Word~Wise Language Arts Resources
—100s of unique products based on the books you teach!
Fun Teaching~Fun Learning!
More fun and unique products over ACROSS FIVE APRILS—see all 16 in my store!
• Bookmarks Plus: ACROSS FIVE APRILS edition—A Handy Little Reading Aid! Helps students keep track of characters and provides definitions for new words—and so much more!
• ACROSS FIVE APRILS Trivia Game—Fun for the Whole Class! My ThemeQuotes games are the only games that link famous, value-promoting quotations to the themes of the books you teach! Students work in teams to play this cross between Wheel of Fortune™ and Trivia Pursuit™ game! 252 questions!
• ACROSS FIVE APRILS: 50-word Prereading Vocabulary Crossword—Use with Bookmarks Plus! Helps prepare students for reading the book! Use with the Across Five Aprils edition of Bookmarks Plus and the Across Five Aprils synonym/Antonym Vocabulary Crossword to reinforce meanings of new words!
• ACROSS FIVE APRILS: Synonym/Antonym Crossword—Use with Bookmarks Plus! Use with Bookmarks Plus and the Across Five Aprils 50-word Prereading Vocabulary Crossword to reinforce meanings of new words!
• ACROSS FIVE APRILS: Figurative Language Crossword—Fun Learning! Students use their knowledge of the story, their knowledge of language, and their imaginations to complete these clues. All are examples of similes, metaphors, hyperbole, etc., from the story! A great way to teach figurative language!
• ACROSS FIVE APRILS: 2 Civil War Trivia Crosswords—Great Competition! Clues focus on events, names, and places associated with the Civil War! Students won’t know all the answers, but as with all crosswords, almost every time they enter a correct answer, they are provided with clues for the next.
• ACROSS FIVE APRILS: 5 Novel-Based Word Searches 5 categories: The South; The North; Newton; Battles of the Civil War; Life at the Creightons’
• ACROSS FIVE APRILS: 8 Cryptocategory Word Puzzles—Unique! War; Some States in the Story; Minor Characters; Rivers; The Illinois Countryside; Good Eats at the Creightons’!; Famous Figures; Creatures. Who doesn’t love a code?
• ACROSS FIVE APRILS: 10 Quotefall Word Puzzles—Unique! Each quotefall is a quotation from the story. Students form individual words of the quotation by transferring letters from above the double line of the puzzle grid to squares in the columns directly below. Quotefalls can be challenging, but students love working them—and they’re great spelling workouts!
• ACROSS FIVE APRILS: 10 Word Merges—One “Word” Becomes Two! Two-word phrases from the story are blended into one “word.” Students decipher the phrases. Harder than it sounds, but a good spelling workout!
• ACROSS FIVE APRILS: 4 Fractured Maxim Puzzles--Fun! Students rearrange “tiles” to form wise sayings that relate to the themes of ACROSS FIVE APRILS. Requires students to use their knowledge of the story as well as their knowledge of theme, spelling, phonics, vocabulary, and language!
• ACROSS FIVE APRILS: 4 Fill-In Word Puzzles—Trial and Error Workout! Students enter common words from the story into the puzzle grid based on the number of letters in the word. The puzzle can be challenging, but each time students enter a correct answer, they are provided with clues for the next.
• ACROSS FIVE APRILS: 8 Cryptograms—Encoded Quotations from the Book! Categories: Putting the Blame Where It Belongs; Pool Ol’ Abe; History in the Making; An Evening to Remember; Jeth’s “Childish Fury”; Like Mother-in-Law, Like Daughter-in-Law; Good Job, Jeth!;
• ACROSS FIVE APRILS: Translating Dialect Crossword—Interesting! Students provide “translations” of dialect used in the story.
• ACROSS FIVE APRILS: Famous Figures of the Civil War Era Crossword Students supply names of famous military figures, politicians, etc.
• ACROSS FIVE APRILS: 16 Theme-Related Quotations + Teaching Ideas! Well-researched, thought-provoking quotations by some of history’s greatest thinkers—each quotation relates to a theme in the book!
Word-Wise Language Arts Resources
—100s of unique products over most-taught literature!
Fun Teaching~Fun Learning!